How can the ideal generated by ab-ba force a ring to commute?

• Thread starter markiv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring
In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to make a ring commutative, including factoring out the commutator subgroup and defining multiplication in a specific way. The most interesting rings, such as matrix rings, are also mentioned. The difference between the free group on two generators and the free abelian group is also mentioned.
markiv
Is there something you can do to a ring to produce a commutative ring? Like for any group, you can create an Abelian group by factoring out its commutator subgroup. Can you "force" a ring to commute?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a group, modding out by the commutator subgroup gives the largest abelian quotient. You could make a ring commutative by simply redefining multiplication such that cd=0 for every c,d in the ring, but I think what you're asking for is a "least destructive" way of making a ring commutative. I don't know the answer.

The simplest idea that comes to my mind: What about factoring the ring by the two-sided ideal generated by ab+ab?

I think you mean the ideal generated by ab-ba?

the most interesting rings are the matrix rings. you might think about how destructive it would be to kill all elements of form AB-BA.

also for a group you might reflect on the difference between the free group on two generators and the free abelian group ZxZ.

Landau said:
I think you mean the ideal generated by ab-ba?

Yes. My typo.

1. What does it mean to "make a ring commutative"?

Making a ring commutative means to rearrange the order of multiplication in a mathematical ring so that the result is the same regardless of the order in which the elements are multiplied.

2. Why is it important to make a ring commutative?

Making a ring commutative can simplify mathematical calculations and make it easier to solve equations. It also allows for more general and efficient algorithms in computer science and other fields.

3. Can any ring be made commutative?

No, not all rings can be made commutative. Only rings that satisfy the commutative property, where a*b = b*a for all elements a and b, can be made commutative.

4. What are some real-world applications of commutative rings?

Commutative rings are used in various fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and signal processing. They are also used in physics and chemistry to model certain systems and phenomena.

5. Are there any drawbacks to making a ring commutative?

While making a ring commutative can have many benefits, it can also limit the types of operations that can be performed on the ring. In some cases, it may also result in loss of information or accuracy in calculations.