Understanding the formula for a geometric series

In summary: Since we cannot determine the value, let's give it a name: SN. So, we haveSN = 1 + 2 + 4 + 8 -15Now that we have SN, we can use the same steps to find the sum of the next number in the sequence: 30.SN = 1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + 15 -30And so on...
preet
I want to understand how the formula for the sum of a geometric sequence is created... This is what I understand so far:

A geometric sequence is the sum of a series of numbers, where a term will be multiplied by an amount (the common ratio) to get the next term, and so on... ex: 1+2+4+8...64+128+256
I understand that the first term is 1 and the common ratio is 2...

The formula to find the sum of the series is

SN=a(1-rN)/(1-r)

Where S is the sum for the 'n'th term...

Step by step, they show the formula worked out like this:

1) a + ar^1 + ar^2 + ar^3 + ar^4 ... ar^n-2 + ar^n-1

2) multiply the whole thing by 'r' ... ar + ar^2 + ar^3 + ar^4 ... ar^n-1 + ar^n

3) subtract the two sequences

4) end up with a - ar^n = (1-r) SN

5) rearrange to get SN=a(1-rN)/(1-r)

Okay, so I don't understand anything from 2 down... if you have a sequence in front of you how can you just think "Why don't I just multiply the whole series by its common ratio and subtract it from the first series to find its sum?" ... what's the reasoning behind multiplying it and then cancelling out most of the terms by subtracting? How do you just do something like that out of the blue?

Thanks in advance,
Preet

Physics news on Phys.org
It might help if you actually wrote those things out as equations. Both sides of the equation represent numbers, namely the sum that you're interested in. You basically have S = stuff.

It should be no surprise that if two numbers are equal to each other then multiplying both of them by the same quantity will yield an equation that is just as valid as the first.

So you have Sum = stuff and Q X Sum = Q X stuff. Now if you subtract the equations from each other (left side from left side and right side from right side) then the resulting equation will be true because you're subtracting the same quantity from the same number!

Your equation follows - and NO it is not out of the clear blue. People basically see the pattern and arrive at the logical way to exploit that pattern. You just need to study it for a while.

"

Okay, can someone walk me through this with simple numbers than?
I've used

15 = 1+2+4+8 as an example... a=1, r=2

30 = 2+4+8+16

Of course the second expression will be true but why is it just multiplied by the common ratio?

I worked out both of the above series' to -15 = -15 (when I subtracted)... this is where I am right now... (Tide) said that people can arrive at a logical way to exploit the pattern... I'm obviouisly having a lot of trouble with this... so I'd appreciate any help...

Did you notice when you subtracted the two equations that ALL the terms canceled except the first and last?

Pretend that you're unable to add four numbers together, so that you're unable to directly determine that 1 + 2 + 4 + 8 = 15. Since we cannot determine the value, let's give it a name: S. So, we have

S = 1 + 2 + 4 + 8

What happens when you apply the steps to this?

1. What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a sequence of numbers where each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant value, known as the common ratio. It follows a specific pattern and can be represented by a formula.

2. How do you find the sum of a geometric series?

The formula for the sum of a finite geometric series is Sn = a(1-rn)/1-r, where a is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms. For an infinite geometric series, the sum is S = a/(1-r), as long as the absolute value of r is less than 1.

3. What is the common ratio in a geometric series?

The common ratio in a geometric series is the number that is multiplied to each term to get the next term in the sequence. It remains constant throughout the series and can be calculated by dividing any term by the previous term.

4. How do you determine if a series is geometric?

To determine if a series is geometric, you can check if the ratio between consecutive terms is constant. If it is, then the series is geometric. Additionally, you can also check if the series follows the formula an = a1 * rn-1, where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

5. Can a geometric series have a negative common ratio?

Yes, a geometric series can have a negative common ratio. This means that the terms in the series alternate between positive and negative values. However, for the sum of an infinite geometric series to exist, the absolute value of the common ratio must be less than 1.