Force on a sphere in flowing water and velocity of water

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mass of a sphere in terms of the density of fluid, using the equation ((pi*d^3)/6)×ρ(water)×g=mg. The approach of finding the mass and dealing with drag force on the sphere is also discussed.
come2ershad

Homework Statement

The problem has been attached with this post.

Homework Equations

Equation given below.

The Attempt at a Solution

The forces on the sphere could be due to gravity and the buoyancy force.
((pi*d^3)/6)×ρ(water)×g=mg
From this I can find the mass of the sphere in terms of the density of fluid.
Then Fv = m (dv/dt). But, I am stuck here. How should I proceed? Is my approach correct?

Attachments

• 1th.jpg
    1th.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also, though viscosity of water is given in the problem, i doubt if there would be any drag force on the sphere since the sphere doesn't seem to be moving significantly through the water. Please throw some light on this concept too.

1. How does the force on a sphere in flowing water affect its velocity?

The force on a sphere in flowing water can either increase or decrease its velocity, depending on the direction and magnitude of the force. If the force is in the same direction as the water flow, it can increase the velocity of the sphere. On the other hand, if the force is in the opposite direction, it can decrease the velocity of the sphere.

2. What factors affect the force on a sphere in flowing water?

The force on a sphere in flowing water can be affected by various factors such as the velocity of the water, the size and shape of the sphere, and the density of the water. Additionally, the angle at which the water flows against the sphere and the surface roughness of the sphere can also impact the force.

3. How is the force on a sphere in flowing water calculated?

The force on a sphere in flowing water can be calculated using the equation F = 0.5 * ρ * v^2 * Cd * A, where F is the force, ρ is the density of the water, v is the velocity of the water, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the sphere. This equation takes into account the factors that affect the force on a sphere in flowing water.

4. How does the velocity of water affect the force on a sphere in flowing water?

The velocity of water plays a significant role in determining the force on a sphere in flowing water. Generally, as the velocity of the water increases, the force on the sphere also increases. This is because higher velocities result in higher kinetic energy, which leads to a greater force being exerted on the sphere.

5. How can the force on a sphere in flowing water be measured?

The force on a sphere in flowing water can be measured using a variety of techniques. One commonly used method is to use a force sensor, such as a strain gauge or load cell, attached to the sphere. The sensor can then measure the force exerted on the sphere and provide data for further analysis.