Wheel Diameter vs Time: Does Size Matter?

In summary, the question is whether a larger wheel diameter would result in a quicker time for a toy car race. The answer is that it depends on various factors such as wheel weight, rolling resistance, and aerodynamics. Generally, larger wheels may reduce rolling resistance and lead to a faster time, but other factors such as body shape also play a significant role.
svn4svn
I am not a physics student however I have a random and hopefully SIMPLE question about wheel diameter over time and distance

Basically take a toy car. A Hotwheel 1/64 scale car for example and run a Pine Derby type of event.

If a car was released down a slope from height of 5ft, slope 10 ft long and run flat for approx 30ft (approx 40 ft long track)

A car weighing 41 grams runs on a wheel diameter of 11 mm = average 3.569 sec from start to finish

With the same variables, would a larger diameter of 13 mm run a quicker time?

My question relates to how effective the 11mm tire would run with increased weight vs. adding weight and using a larger 13 mm diameter wheel.
We have a maximum weight allowed of 4oz and want to know if I can stay with smaller tires or MUST i change to larger wheels for a quicker time.

Hopefully I am not sounding silly, but I am very interested in the equation to find out rather than simply testing different times due to variables of friction loss or other factors unable to control.

thank you in advance for helping me learn.

Robert

Physics news on Phys.org
If the wheel weight was the same, then the angular momentum factor is the same regardless of the diameter. I don't know about other factors such as rolling resistance and friction at the axle. If the wheel weight is heavier, it slows down the car a tiny bit, but only if the weight is significant compared to the total weight of the car. If the wheel was a disc, it would increase the momentum resisting gravity by 1/3 the weight of the wheel, which I assume is small comparted to the total weight of the car.

For example, if the wheels were solid uniform disks and 10% of the total weight of the car, then they would reduce the acceleration from 1.0000 g sin(θ) to ~ 0.9667 g sin(θ), ignoring all other factors.

Last edited:
Generally, larger wheel will reduce rolling resistance, both due to wheel/track deformations and due to axis friction. Whether the difference will be significant will depend on way too many factors. Still, all other things being the same, you are better off with larger wheels.

On a long track, aerodynamic factors will make a much larger difference. Unlike real cars, where you want aerodynamic downforce to improve traction, when racing under own weight, you want to make the body as aerodynamically neutral as possible. So if you are choosing between different Hot Wheels models for the race, body shape should be your first consideration.

1. What is the purpose of studying wheel diameter versus time?

The purpose of studying wheel diameter versus time is to understand the relationship between the two variables and how it affects the performance of the wheel. This information can then be used to make informed decisions in designing and selecting wheels for various applications.

2. How does wheel diameter affect the speed of rotation?

Generally, a larger wheel diameter will result in a higher speed of rotation. This is because a larger wheel covers more distance with each rotation compared to a smaller wheel. However, there are other factors such as friction and weight that also play a role in the speed of rotation.

3. Does wheel diameter affect the strength of the wheel?

Yes, wheel diameter can affect the strength of the wheel. A larger wheel diameter can distribute weight and force over a larger area, making it stronger and able to handle heavier loads. However, the material and design of the wheel also play a significant role in its strength.

4. What are the advantages of using a larger wheel diameter?

Using a larger wheel diameter can provide several advantages, including increased speed, smoother ride, and better weight distribution. Additionally, larger wheels can also have a longer lifespan and require less maintenance compared to smaller wheels.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using a larger wheel diameter?

One potential disadvantage of using a larger wheel diameter is the increased weight and bulkiness, which can make it more challenging to maneuver in tight spaces. Additionally, larger wheels may also be more expensive compared to smaller wheels. It is essential to consider the specific application and its requirements when deciding on the appropriate wheel diameter.