How close are we to genetically altering brain functionality?

• Medical
  • Thread starter thehacker3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary: Not something I would personally try.Glad to hear it, and if you're intersted (which it seems you are), I'd begin by researching gene therapy over the past decade or two, the expecations for it at the outset, and the reality.
thehacker3
Title says it all. How close are we to genetically instilling more memory, faster processing power, etc.. in the human brain?

Can an admin please PM this time before just deleting the thread? It's a serious question and an interesting discussion if taken as such.

Biology news on Phys.org
thehacker3 said:
Title says it all. How close are we to genetically instilling more memory, faster processing power, etc.. in the human brain?

Can an admin please PM this time before just deleting the thread? It's a serious question and an interesting discussion if taken as such.

Not close at all... remember that to achieve those ends we need to have a deep understanding of memory and what makes the brain work "faster" and "better". The last time gene therapy was tried with good intentions and little testing, it killed all save one participant.

I would say we're not even within sight of such a breakthrough, unless it came out of nowhere. Remember that genes act in an incredibly complex fashion with each other, the environment, and then each other again. It's one thing to make a fern bioluminescent, quite another to enhance a brain without killing it.

nismaratwork said:
Not close at all... remember that to achieve those ends we need to have a deep understanding of memory and what makes the brain work "faster" and "better". The last time gene therapy was tried with good intentions and little testing, it killed all save one participant.

I would say we're not even within sight of such a breakthrough, unless it came out of nowhere. Remember that genes act in an incredibly complex fashion with each other, the environment, and then each other again. It's one thing to make a fern bioluminescent, quite another to enhance a brain without killing it.

Thank you for a much more informative response. This answered my question quite well, actually.

thehacker3 said:
Thank you for a much more informative response. This answered my question quite well, actually.

Glad to hear it, and if you're intersted (which it seems you are), I'd begin by researching gene therapy over the past decade or two, the expecations for it at the outset, and the reality.

There is a lot of promise in our genome, and altering it, but first we need to understand it... and we don't... not even close.

Proton Soup said:
you could try the dual n-back method to increase working memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-back#Dual_n-back

i downloaded the brain workshop game, but just never seem to find the interest to play it.

My college statistics professor directed us to that game.

Agreed, no interest to play it, even if it may increase working memory.

1. How close are we to genetically altering brain functionality?

As a scientist, I can say that we are already making progress towards genetically altering brain functionality. However, this is a complex and controversial area of research and there are still many challenges and ethical considerations to be addressed before it becomes a widespread practice.

2. What methods are being used to genetically alter brain functionality?

Currently, the most commonly used method for genetic alteration of brain functionality is through the use of gene editing tools such as CRISPR-Cas9. This allows scientists to make precise changes in specific genes that can potentially affect brain function.

3. What are the potential benefits of genetically altering brain functionality?

The potential benefits of genetically altering brain functionality include the ability to treat and potentially cure neurological disorders and diseases, improve cognitive abilities, and enhance human capabilities. It could also provide a better understanding of the brain and its functions.

4. What are the potential risks and drawbacks of genetically altering brain functionality?

Some potential risks and drawbacks of genetically altering brain functionality include unintended consequences and side effects, ethical concerns surrounding the manipulation of human genes, and the potential for unequal access and distribution of these technologies.

5. What are the ethical considerations surrounding genetically altering brain functionality?

This is a complex and controversial area of research, and there are many ethical considerations to be addressed. These include issues of consent, potential discrimination and inequality, and the potential for unintended consequences and misuse of these technologies.