Physics Hwk Problem:Collisions

• Thread starter shawonna23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a projectile and a wooden block on a frictionless table. The correct equation to use is found in the book under "Collisions in Two Dimensions." The key concept is conservation of momentum, where initial momentum is equal to final momentum.
shawonna23
A 0.165 kg projectile is fired with a velocity of +705 m/s at a 2.00 kg wooden block that rests on a frictionless table. The velocity of the block, immediately after the projectile passes through it, is +55.0 m/s. Find the velocity with which the projectile exits from the block.

I am having trouble solving this problem. I used this equation:
vf1=(0.165-2.00)/(0.165+2.00)*705, but the answer is wrong. Am I using the right equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
LOL, we could quite possibly be in the same class. Again, yet another homework problem that I had.

I can tell you that no, that isn't the correct equation to be using. Look in your book under 7.4 : Collisions in Two Dimensions and you will get the correct equation to use from there.

this question seems as if it is a conservation of momentum problem.
therefore,
initial momentum (before collison) must be equal to the
final momentum (after collison)

so just equate the two and you should get the correct answer.

hope this helps.

1. What is a collision in physics?

A collision in physics is when two or more objects come into contact with each other and transfer energy or momentum.

2. What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics stating that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In other words, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

3. How is the type of collision determined?

The type of collision is determined by the amount of kinetic energy that is conserved during the collision. If all kinetic energy is conserved, it is an elastic collision. If some kinetic energy is lost, it is an inelastic collision.

4. How do you calculate the velocity of an object after a collision?

The velocity of an object after a collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum equation: m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1f + m2v2f, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity before and after the collision.

5. Can the laws of physics be violated during a collision?

No, the laws of physics cannot be violated during a collision. The conservation of energy and momentum must always be obeyed, even during collisions.