Coupling DC Motors with Timing Belt: Vibration Concerns?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of mounting a motor on a leadscrew-based table for a dyno project, which would allow for flexibility in testing different motors. The concern is whether this setup would lead to premature failure of the leadscrew due to vibration and stress concentration. The suggestion to use vibration dampeners and a flexible coupling is mentioned as a solution to this concern.
robs314
Just a short question.

As part of a dyno project, I am coupling two dc motors together with a timing belt. To allow the same rig to be used for different test motors, I am considering mounting this (test) motor on a table, which can be positioned in two directions on leadscrews. This would allow the same timing belt to be used.

Is this a sensible idea from a vibration/stress concentration point of view?
My reservations are that vibration will cause the table to creep towards the other motor.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could consider vibration dampeners which are just basically small square neoprene rubber sheets under the motor mounting shoes. I don't know if this will do enough good, however.

Thanks for your reply

Would you say, in your opinion, that mounting a motor on a leadscrew-based table is likely to lead to premature failure of the leadscrew due to vibration + stress concentration?

I'm still inclined to go ahead with it, simply because it allows so much flexibility in terms of fitting different motors. I'm thinking of only using lead screws to adjust the motor under test in the direction parallel to the motors, and not on the axis between the shafts (ie not to bring them together). An adjustable idling pulley (on a leadscrew again!) will take up the slack when a smaller pulley is used on the Motor Under Test side.

Thanks for your help

Vibration dampeners and also a flexable coupling will definitely help. I think you could make it last a reasonable period if these components are selected carefully.

What is coupling and how does it work with DC motors?

Coupling is a mechanical device used to connect two shafts in order to transmit power. When coupling is used with DC motors, it allows the motor to transfer rotational motion to another shaft or component.

What are the benefits of coupling DC motors with timing belts?

Coupling DC motors with timing belts allows for smooth and efficient power transmission, as well as providing flexibility in the alignment of the motor and the driven component. This can also reduce vibration and noise during operation.

What are the common concerns regarding vibration when coupling DC motors with timing belts?

The main concern with vibration when coupling DC motors with timing belts is the potential for misalignment, which can cause excessive vibration and noise. This can lead to premature wear and failure of the components, as well as decreased overall efficiency.

How can vibration concerns be addressed when coupling DC motors with timing belts?

To address vibration concerns, it is important to ensure proper alignment between the motor and the driven component. This can be achieved by using precision coupling and belt tensioning techniques. Additionally, using high-quality components and regularly checking for wear and tear can help prevent excessive vibration.

Are there any alternatives to coupling DC motors with timing belts to reduce vibration?

Yes, there are other options such as direct drive or using flexible couplings to connect the motor and driven component. However, coupling with timing belts is often preferred due to its cost-effectiveness and ability to absorb shock and vibration.