Is There a Difference Between Vertically Polarized Light Reflected from East and West?

In summary: I am not aware of any other factors.In summary, the conversation discusses a method of detecting polarized light using a clay pipe and polished metal. It is suggested that the light would be vertically polarized at daybreak and sunset, and horizontally polarized at midday. The question is whether there is a difference in the light from the sun at these different times. Ian suggests using a piece of polaroid and paper for detection, while Claude mentions the possibility of detecting more light in the evening due to colder air.
Ian Rumsey
I place a 3 foot straight clay pipe, horizontally, pointing North - South.
At daybreak, when the sun rises in the East, with the aid of a piece of polished metal, I reflect the light from the sun along the internal diameter of the pipe. The far end is closed by bee's wax.
I assume this reflected light along the pipe is vertically polarized.
If I repeat this action at midday it would follow that the light along the pipe would be horizontally polarized.
Now at sunset, with the light coming from the West, the reflected light from my polished piece of metal, along the pipe would again be vertically polarized.
Now the question is whether there is any discernable difference between the vertical polarized light deflected from due East, and vertical polarized light deflected from due West.
For example-
Is one 180 degrees out of phase with the other, or is there anything special about light from the sun at daybreak.

Ian

Science news on Phys.org
You have a questionable detection scheme. Just use a piece of polaroid and paper.

Claude.

Personally I would assume that a larger amount of light would be detected in the evening due to the air generally being colder in the morning than in the evening. Such that colder air would mean denser air and more collisons and random deflections than the evening case. Other than that,

What is polarized light?

Polarized light is a type of light where the vibrations of the electromagnetic waves are restricted to a specific direction. This means that the light waves are aligned in one plane instead of being randomly scattered in all directions.

How is polarized light created?

Polarized light can be created through various processes such as reflection, scattering, or transmission. For example, when light reflects off a smooth surface at a certain angle, it becomes polarized. Similarly, when light passes through a polarizing filter, it becomes polarized.

What is the difference between polarized and unpolarized light?

The main difference between polarized and unpolarized light is the direction of the light waves. Unpolarized light has vibrations in all directions, while polarized light has vibrations restricted to a specific plane. This results in different properties and behaviors of these two types of light.

What are some applications of polarized light?

Polarized light has various applications in different fields. It is used in photography to reduce glare and improve image quality. In 3D movie theaters, polarized light is used to create the illusion of depth. It is also used in sunglasses and LCD screens to reduce glare and improve visibility.

How does polarized light affect vision?

Polarized light can affect vision in different ways. It can reduce glare and improve visibility, making it useful in various outdoor activities such as driving, fishing, and skiing. However, it can also interfere with certain types of vision tests, so eye doctors may use polarized filters to compensate for this effect.