Graphing Particle Motion in 3D on iPad App

• Thread starter theobserver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph Ipad
In summary, the speaker has been working on something and is having trouble explaining it in words, so they need to graph it in 3D. They are having trouble finding an app that can graph a helix without using parametric equations. The app requires a single equation in Cartesian coordinates. The speaker is unsure of the specific form of the equation needed and suggests using polar coordinates as an alternative. They ultimately decide to use a computer for graphing instead.
theobserver
I have been working on something in my spare time and I have to graph the particle's motion in three dimensions because trying to explain it in words has not been working. How can a helix be graphed without parametric equations (the iPad app I'm using will not work with parametric equations)? Explaining what is happening and where the interference is coming from is hard and it works better to show someone.

Physics news on Phys.org
So you need to express it with two functions like this?
y(x) = ..
z(x) = ..
That's for a helix with the axis parallel to x. Still looks like parametric equations. What exactly does the app require for plotting a 3D curve?

It needs to be a single equation. Cartesian coordinates are preferred.

theobserver said:
It needs to be a single equation. Cartesian coordinates are preferred.

You mean an implicit equation? I still don't know what form you want it in. Can you give an example.

Are you sure your graphing app can plot lines? Or does it just do surface plots like z=f(x,y) ? In that case it would be hideously complicated. You'd need to make the function undefined everywhere except on the curve, and even then the app may not notice the curve at all.

You suggest it can use polar coordinates, so how about:
z=theta
r=1
Or is that too many equations?

I just decided to use a computer. I think I can only do surface plots on the iPad :(

1. What is the purpose of the "Graphing Particle Motion in 3D" iPad app?

The purpose of this app is to provide a visual representation of the movement of particles in a 3D space. It allows users to input variables such as velocity and acceleration to see how the particles move over time.

2. How accurate is the particle motion graph on the app?

The app uses accurate mathematical calculations to plot the particle's motion, so the graph is as accurate as the input variables provided. However, there may be slight variations due to factors such as device limitations and user error.

3. Can this app be used for educational purposes?

Yes, this app can be a great educational tool for learning about particle motion in a 3D space. It can help students visualize and better understand concepts such as velocity, acceleration, and position.

4. Are there any limitations to the app?

The app is limited to graphing the motion of particles in a 3D space and does not take into account other factors such as friction or air resistance. It also has a limited range of input variables and may not be suitable for complex calculations.

5. Can the graphs created on the app be exported or saved?

Currently, the app does not have a feature to export or save the graphs. However, users can take screenshots of the graphs to save them for future reference.