Sequences of Functions in terms of x

In summary, the conversation discusses the approach to determine the values of x for which the function (x^n)/n is increasing, decreasing, bounded below, or bounded above for n>=1. The suggested method is to take the derivative of the function and set it to 0, and consider two cases depending on the nature of n (integer or non-integer). It is also suggested to clarify with the teacher if the restriction on n is only for positive integers or for all real numbers greater than or equal to 1. The conversation also discusses the wording of the homework question and the role of x and n in the function.
Lute

Homework Statement

Determine the values of x for which the function, for n>=1, is increasing, decreasing, bounded below or bounded above. The function is (x^n)/n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought about taking the derivative of the function, and setting it to 0. To find which values of x is increasing or decreasing.

Edit: This is first forum post, so I apologize if I am forgetting something.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lute said:
I thought about taking the derivative of the function, and setting it to 0. To find which values of x is increasing or decreasing.

Sounds good to me.

I get x^(n-1), is that right?

Lute said:
I get x^(n-1), is that right?

Yes. Now, you know that n>=1, so n-1>=0. The tricky part is this. We have two different cases here.

If n is an integer, (x^n)/n is just have a regular polynomial with one term (and differentiable everywhere). You took the derivative just fine, so do the usual test to see where it's increasing.

If n is not an integer, what does this mean for (x^n)/n for x < 0? You need to be careful in your answer here.

It would depend on the denominator of n(it has to be odd)? Like if n is1/2, where x<0. The top part would be undefined. Is that correct?

Lute said:
It would depend on the denominator of n(it has to be odd)? Like if n is1/2, where x<0. The top part would be undefined. Is that correct?

You have the right idea. n>=1, so a valid example is 3/2, not 1/2. If you raise x < 0 to a fraction with an even denominator, you obtain an undefined result. Also, if you raise x < 0 to an irrational number, you also obtain an undefined result. The only way we'll obtain a valid result is if the denominator of the power is odd (note that the power must be a reduced fraction).

With that in mind. How you would consider the second case in terms of the restrictions on n? Since, there are many fractions that could give you a valid answer if x<0.

Lute said:
With that in mind. How you would consider the second case in terms of the restrictions on n? Since, there are many fractions that could give you a valid answer if x<0.

You have to break up your answer into multiple cases. Whoever made the question up might have meant the positive integers greater than or equal to 1, but the only restriction I see is that n is any real number greater than or equal to 1. If you have doubt about it, you can ask your teacher if this was a typo or (s)he does mean all numbers greater than or equal to 1.

Possibly. Assuming that they meant positive integers greater or equal than 1, would you only consider is x>0? Since the resulting number would ether be positive or negative on x<0 depending on the exponent. Or is it one of those things, were I have to ask my teacher about.

Lute said:
Possibly. Assuming that they meant positive integers greater or equal than 1, would you only consider is x>0? Since the resulting number would ether be positive or negative on x<0 depending on the exponent. Or is it one of those things, were I have to ask my teacher about.

from before:
gb7nash said:
If n is an integer, (x^n)/n is just have a regular polynomial with one term (and differentiable everywhere). You took the derivative just fine, so do the usual test to see where it's increasing.

This is a polynomial with one term, so the derivative is defined everywhere and you can consider all x in R.

But yeah, the letter n is usually associated with positive integers, if you've seen recurrence problems, infinite series, sequences, etc. It's easy to misinterpret this as all integers >= 1. I would ask your teacher to clear up any misconceptions.

The wording sounds to me like it is saying 'x' is a parameter, while 'n' is the variable. If so, we want to know the properties of the function f(n) = a^n / n (using the letter 'a' instead of 'x', to make this clearer).

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
The wording sounds to me like it is saying 'x' is a parameter, while 'n' is the variable. If so, we want to know the properties of the function f(n) = a^n / n (using the letter 'a' instead of 'x', to make this clearer).

RGV
-
I disagree. The problem said specifically "Determine the values of x for which the function, for n>=1, is increasing, decreasing, bounded below or bounded above." It is clear that this problem is regarding x as the variable while n is fixed.

HallsofIvy said:
-
I disagree. The problem said specifically "Determine the values of x for which the function, for n>=1, is increasing, decreasing, bounded below or bounded above." It is clear that this problem is regarding x as the variable while n is fixed.

In that case it would have been better to say "determine the values of n for which ... " because asking for a value of x for which the function is unbounded, etc., sounds artificial (although I know that statements like "f is unbounded at x = 1" are sometimes used informally to indicate some limiting behavior). Of course, if the question wants to know if the function is bounded below, that is OK (in which case the "values of x" are "all of them"). Anyway, I can't see the point of dividing by n if n is not a variable. It was just the wording that seemed wrong to me.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Anyway, I can't see the point of dividing by n if n is not a variable. It was just the wording that seemed wrong to me.

RGV

The only reason I see that being there is for cancellation when taking the derivative.

1. What are sequences of functions in terms of x?

Sequences of functions in terms of x refer to a set of functions that are defined and evaluated for different values of the independent variable x. These functions may have different forms or expressions, but they all share the same variable x.

2. How are sequences of functions in terms of x different from regular functions?

The main difference between sequences of functions in terms of x and regular functions is that the former involves a collection of functions, while the latter is a single function. In sequences of functions, each function is evaluated for a specific value of x, while a regular function is evaluated for any value of x.

3. What is the purpose of studying sequences of functions in terms of x?

Studying sequences of functions in terms of x can help us understand the behavior and patterns of a set of related functions. It also allows us to analyze the convergence or divergence of the sequence and make predictions about the behavior of the functions for different values of x.

4. How do you determine the limit of a sequence of functions in terms of x?

The limit of a sequence of functions in terms of x can be determined by evaluating the limit of each individual function as x approaches a specific value, and then finding the pattern or trend of these limits as x approaches that value. This can be done using algebraic techniques or graphical methods.

5. Can sequences of functions in terms of x be used in real-world applications?

Yes, sequences of functions in terms of x have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to model the behavior of a system over time or to predict future values based on past data. They are also used in calculus to solve problems involving infinite series.