Solving Integration: No Numerical Method Needed, Answer is 1

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: I spent awhile on this and eventually asked Mathematica for help in calculating the integral. It confirmed the answer as \approx 1.21883, and gave that\int^{\pi }_0{{cos}^2\left(\frac{\pi }{2}{\cos \left(x\right)\ }\right){\csc \left(x\right)\ }dx=\frac{1}{2}\left(-Ci(2\pi \right)+\gamma +{\rm ln}(2\pi ))}.
yungman
Please tell me what did I do wrong on this integration. The book claimed this can only be solved in numerical method and the answer is 1.218.

[tex]\int _0^{\pi} \frac {\cos ^2\left [\frac {\pi} 2 \;\cos\;\theta\right]}{\sin \theta}\;d\;\theta [/tex]

[tex]\hbox { Let }\; u=\frac {\pi} 2\; \cos \theta\;\Rightarrow\; d\theta =-\frac{2\;d\;u}{\pi\;\sin\;\theta}\; \Rightarrow\;\int _0^{\pi} \frac {\cos ^2\left [\frac {\pi} 2 \;\cos\;\theta\right]}{\sin \theta}\;d\;\theta \;=\; -\frac 2 {\pi}\int \cos^2\;u \;d\;u\;=-\frac 1 {\pi} \left[ \int d\;u \;+\; \int \cos(2u) d\;u \right ][/tex]

[tex] = -\left [\frac { \frac {\pi} 2 \cos \theta}{\pi}\right]_0^{\pi} \;-\;\frac 1 {2\pi} \int \cos v \;dv \;\;\;\;\;\;\hbox { where }\;\; \;v=2u \;\hbox { and }\;d\;u=\frac {d\;v} 2 [/tex]

[tex]= 1 -\left[\frac { \sin (2\frac {\pi} 2 \;\cos \theta)}{2\pi}\right]^{\pi}_0 \;= 1 [/tex]

I solve this without using numerical method and the answer is 1 instead of 1.218. Who is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
on your first u-substitution u=pi/2*cos(x)
your du=sin(x)dx
your du is not [itex] du= \frac{1}{sin(x)} [/itex]
you can't get rid of that sine in the bottom with that u substitution

cragar said:
on your first u-substitution u=pi/2*cos(x)
your du=sin(x)dx
your du is not [itex] du= \frac{1}{sin(x)} [/itex]
you can't get rid of that sine in the bottom with that u substitution
I really don't get it. Please explain more.Thanks

Alan

Last edited:
yes that's what you would have. This integral looks tricky if its even doable, I tried some stuff using trig identities and stuff and even thought about using Eulers formula .

yungman said:
Do you mean after the substitution, it is [itex]cos^2(\frac u {sin \theta}) [/itex] instead. So I cannot cancel the one outside?

After the substitution the integrand should become

[itex] -\frac{2}{\pi}\frac{cos^2 u}{sin^2 \theta} [/itex]

I spent awhile on this and eventually asked Mathematica for help in calculating the integral. It confirmed the answer as [itex]\approx 1.21883[/itex], and gave that
[itex]\int^{\pi }_0{{cos}^2\left(\frac{\pi }{2}{\cos \left(x\right)\ }\right){\csc \left(x\right)\ }dx=\frac{1}{2}\left(-Ci(2\pi \right)+\gamma +{\rm ln}(2\pi ))}.[/itex]
Where Ci(x) is the cosine integral (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CosineIntegral.html) and [itex]\gamma[/itex] is the Euler-Mascheroni constant (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Euler-MascheroniConstant.html), which would seem to confirm this as a non-elementary integral. I don't even think it's possible to solve without the aid of a very comprehensive set of integration tables. =\

Last edited by a moderator:
Isak BM said:
After the substitution the integrand should become

[itex] -\frac{2}{\pi}\frac{cos^2 u}{sin^2 \theta} [/itex]

Thanks, I was so blind! No wonder! It was late last night. I don't know why I tend to make this kind of stupid mistake all the times, it is so obvious that I miss it. That's the reason I never get 100 in my ODE class, always 96 97, always have one of these mistakes to take off a few points! Kicker is I still did not see it after your first reply...and I did went through the whole thing!

Thanks.

akaritakai said:
I spent awhile on this and eventually asked Mathematica for help in calculating the integral. It confirmed the answer as [itex]\approx 1.21883[/itex], and gave that
[itex]\int^{\pi }_0{{cos}^2\left(\frac{\pi }{2}{\cos \left(x\right)\ }\right){\csc \left(x\right)\ }dx=\frac{1}{2}\left(-Ci(2\pi \right)+\gamma +{\rm ln}(2\pi ))}.[/itex]
Where Ci(x) is the cosine integral (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CosineIntegral.html) and [itex]\gamma[/itex] is the Euler-Mascheroni constant (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Euler-MascheroniConstant.html), which would seem to confirm this as a non-elementary integral. I don't even think it's possible to solve without the aid of a very comprehensive set of integration tables. =\

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is integration?

Integration is the process of combining different parts or components into a whole. In the scientific context, it often refers to the combination of different methods or theories to form a more comprehensive understanding of a particular phenomenon.

2. Why is integration important in science?

Integration allows scientists to synthesize information and perspectives from various fields, leading to a more holistic and complete understanding of complex systems. It also helps to bridge gaps between different disciplines and promotes collaboration among researchers.

3. How do you integrate different scientific theories?

There are several approaches to integrating different scientific theories, such as using mathematical models, conducting experiments, or analyzing data from multiple sources. It may also involve identifying common principles or patterns between theories and finding ways to reconcile any conflicting ideas.

4. What are the challenges of integration in science?

One of the main challenges of integration in science is the complexity and diversity of the subject matter. It can be challenging to find common ground between different theories or methods, and there may be resistance to change from established ideas. Additionally, integration requires a multidisciplinary approach, which can be time-consuming and resource-intensive.

5. How can integration benefit scientific research?

Integration can benefit scientific research by providing a more comprehensive and accurate understanding of complex phenomena. It can also lead to the development of new theories or methods that incorporate the strengths of different approaches. Additionally, integration can help identify gaps in knowledge and drive future research directions.