Removing CH3I: Designing Containment Filtered Venting System EUF

• Thread starter wang-nuclear
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a containment filtered venting system EUF and the challenge of removing CH3I. Various methods, including using Na2S2O3 (Sodium Thiosulfate), have been tried with low effectiveness. The suggestion of using ozone as a strong oxidant is proposed, but it may not be feasible due to cost and difficulty. The conversation also mentions the requirement to use Sodium Thiosulfate and the potential need to redo experiments if it is not effective. The possibility of using another substance that can react with Sodium Thiosulfate and dissolve in water is also brought up.
wang-nuclear
We are designing containment filtered venting system EUF. Everything is smooth except removing CH3I. We have tried a lot of methods including using Na2S2O3(Sodium Thiosulfate).We designed a venturi tube and it was located under sodium thiosulfate solution. When CH3I goes trough the equipment,it should be romoved.But our experiment shows the effectiveness is very low.t seems not work. Can anyone tell me some information about this expriment,espercially the experiment condition?

Engineering news on Phys.org
wang-nuclear said:
We are designing containment filtered venting system EUF. Everything is smooth except removing CH3I. We have tried a lot of methods including using Na2S2O3(Sodium Thiosulfate).We designed a venturi tube and it was located under sodium thiosulfate solution. When CH3I goes trough the equipment,it should be romoved.But our experiment shows the effectiveness is very low.t seems not work. Can anyone tell me some information about this expriment,espercially the experiment condition?

I'm not a chemist and this is a physics forum, but have you tried adding a strong oxidant such as ozone to first break up the methyl group, so the thiosulphate could then take care of the iodine?

CH3I in the atmosphere tends to interact with and get broken down by naturally occurring ozone (http://www.uea.ac.uk/~e780/iodcycle.htm ). I imagine though that this wouldn't work well in a hydrogen-rich atmosphere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your help. Our system is a part of a bigger system and the other designing has been finished(by another institute).We are required to use Sodium Thiosulfate or the whole designing needs to te changed. all experiments need to be made again.It is the last thing we want to see. Besides, the system won't be started except under accident condition.As a result, if we use ozone,we need a big container to storage ozone and the cost as well as difficulties will be out of our affording ability. But is there any substance with the ability to react with Sodium Thiosulfate that can dissolve in water ?

What is CH3I and why does it need to be removed?

CH3I is a chemical compound known as methyl iodide. It is commonly used as a fumigant in agricultural settings but is also a byproduct of nuclear power plants. It is important to remove CH3I from the air to prevent harm to human health and the environment.

What is a containment filtered venting system?

A containment filtered venting system is a system designed to capture and filter CH3I from the air. It typically consists of a series of filters and fans that work together to remove the chemical.

Why is it important to design a containment filtered venting system specifically for CH3I?

CH3I is a highly reactive and volatile chemical compound, making it difficult to remove from the air. This is why a specialized system is needed to effectively contain and filter out the chemical.

What factors should be considered when designing a containment filtered venting system for CH3I?

Some important factors to consider include the type and concentration of CH3I present, the ventilation rate, the size and location of the system, and the potential hazards of the chemical. It is also important to follow regulatory guidelines and safety protocols when designing the system.

Are there any alternative methods for removing CH3I besides a containment filtered venting system?

Yes, there are other methods for removing CH3I, such as adsorption and chemical scrubbing. However, a containment filtered venting system is often the most efficient and cost-effective solution for large-scale removal of CH3I from the air.