2 Q's: overseas worth it & how to CV for grad school

In summary: US for a funded PhD?In summary, It is possible to apply to universities overseas if you have good reasons and are willing to pay for it. However, you should check if the universities you are applying to are good and affordable alternatives first. You should also include any academic achievements in yourCV, even if they are not as prestigious as some of your undergraduate achievements.
nonequilibrium
2 Q's: overseas worth it & "how to" CV for grad school

Hello,

I'm doing my last undergraduate year this year in my country of birth (Central-Europe) and I've made up my mind about doing my graduate (in theoretical physics) abroad: desire for a more vibrant, stimulating scientific environment & an (academic) adventure. Now I have two questions, the first about location, the second about the Curriculum Vitae.

(1) I'm going to apply to two universities in Germany (the germans seem to have a good scientific attitude) and one in The Netherlands (I've heard good things about Utrecht). The thing is, I seem to be a bit hesitant with applying to overseas universities, and I'm wondering if my reasons are just: first there's the fact that my parents prefer I don't go unnecessarily far at this stage (okay, I suppose there's little to nothing you can comment on this reason, but just stating it to give the full picture; this reason is also not really against the UK, but mainly the US), the second reason has to do with cost, those overseas universities (the good ones, anyway) seem to be freakishly expensive: my parents are willing to pay for it if I am convinced, but I don't know myself if that price is worth it, if Cambridge or Princeton (to just blurt out two names) really beats a good German university. The third reason is admission: I have the notion that American universities are really hard to get in for European students wanting to do their graduate studies there (having heard that once) but I realize I might very well be wrong on this, hence me checking it now. Of course they're not "easy" to get into, but I mean in comparison to a good university in, say, Germany. (if you think about the money they charge, that would be a good reason to suspect it shouldn't be so hard, actually)

That being said, there is another university I'm definitely applying to and that is overseas: PSI, which I really am totally convinced about as it seems to perfectly suit what I'm looking for, and it is incidentally also very hard to get accepted into (hence the applying to more than one place).

(2) When they ask for a CV, what do I put in it at this stage? I saw a topic closely related on this recently, but it didn't have a concrete answer to my specific question. And this also allows me to ask subquestions: do I include hobbies? (it seems irrelevant to my studies, but I know that in some countries extracurricular activies are regarded as important so who knows, I'm asking) Do I mention being in the national finale of the physics olympiad? My ranking wasn't that special (especially in relation to people that got through to the international round), and I think I'd rather neglect mentioning it (I'm no good at contests, nor do I like the concept of a contest), but just wanted to check cause there is the argument that mentioning it demonstrates interest in the subject. Do I also list all the courses I've taken? Or do I only (if at all) mention special courses, like a graduate course?

Also, one of the places specifically asks for "your Curriculum Vitae, which will provide all of your Academic Background and Professional Background information"; so does this mean that even if a CV normally entails more details (depends on the answer on my earlier question), in this case they only want academic stuff, correct?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

(1) A small trend at my university (in Germany) is, students get their master degrees then go to USA for a funded PhD, and those with PhD are going for post doc positions.
Also if you are a citizen of an EU state member, there should many opportunities for scholarships and stipends within Germany.
I don't think its really worth it going to an expensive university if you have good and affordable alternatives (also closer to home).

(2) I find the euro cv style neat, which should suffice for all purposes. You can include your extracurricular activities but give it its own subsection, not put together with hobbies.
Any information that can be positive regarding your application, it won't do harm if you included it e.g. graduate courses.

As an undergrad, you should have only one CV, which details any working experience and any academic experiences (e.g. bachelor thesis).

As a sample euroCV, see:

http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/europass/home/vernav/Europass+Documents/Europass+CV.csp

http://www.eurocv.eu/

You don't have to follow it strictly and there is space for customization, e.g. as you're applying for university admission, you can put academic info ahead of the employment section.

Last edited by a moderator:

I hope this doesn't seem like I'm hijacking the thread, I just wanted to add a question which follows straight from the OP's first (and is probably of interest to you):

Is it common for EU students to get into a funded masters+phd program in the US/Canada (or Japan, if anyone knows) ? Or is the regular course of action getting a masters in one's home country first, then emigrating for a phd + chain of post-docs like how physiker describes?

OP: Definitely keep us updated on what you end up doing, there aren't a great deal of threads with info/advice for EU students wanting to do post-grad+phd's abroad(and by this I mean both other EU countries and everywhere else).

Last edited:

mr. vodka said:
the second reason has to do with cost, those overseas universities (the good ones, anyway) seem to be freakishly expensive:

PhDs in science and engineering at US and UK universities have no tuition fees (usually - in the UK some projects are funded for EU students only). US usually pay you about $26,000 per year, uk £14,000. US takes 5 years as first two years are coursework, UK 3 years as is pure research.

So, both are affordable if they accept you. You won't be living like a rich man, but you'll survive.

I can understand your desire for a vibrant and stimulating scientific environment, as well as the appeal of an academic adventure. When considering whether to study overseas, it is important to weigh the potential benefits against any concerns you may have. Ultimately, the decision should be based on your personal and academic goals.

In terms of location, Germany and the Netherlands are both known for their strong scientific communities, so it's great that you are considering universities in both countries. It's important to also consider your personal preferences and how well you would fit into each university's culture and environment. As for cost, it is true that overseas universities can be more expensive, but it's important to also consider the potential return on investment in terms of the quality of education and opportunities available.

In regards to admission, it is true that some American universities may be more competitive for international students, but this is not necessarily the case for all universities. It's important to research each university's admission requirements and consider your own academic qualifications and experiences. As you mentioned, applying to multiple universities can increase your chances of acceptance.

When it comes to your Curriculum Vitae (CV), it should be tailored to each specific university's requirements. In general, a CV for graduate school should include your academic background, research experience, publications, awards and honors, and relevant skills and coursework. It's up to your discretion whether to include hobbies or extracurricular activities, but if they are relevant to your academic or research interests, they may be worth mentioning. As for the physics olympiad, it may be worth mentioning if it demonstrates your passion and interest in the subject, but it is not necessary to include if you feel it does not add value to your application.

In regards to the specific university that asks for your "Academic and Professional Background information", it is likely that they are looking for a more comprehensive CV that includes both academic and non-academic experiences. However, it is always best to clarify with the university directly if you are unsure of their expectations.

I hope this helps answer your questions and I wish you the best of luck in your graduate school applications. Remember to carefully consider your options and choose the path that aligns with your academic and personal goals.

1. Is studying overseas worth it?

Studying overseas can be a valuable and enriching experience for many students. It allows for exposure to different cultures, languages, and educational systems. It also provides opportunities for personal growth and development. However, it is important to carefully consider the financial and logistical aspects before making a decision. Additionally, the level of quality and recognition of the specific program or university should also be taken into consideration.

2. What are the benefits of studying overseas?

Studying overseas can have numerous benefits such as broadening one's perspective, improving language skills, and gaining a competitive edge in the job market. It also allows for networking opportunities with individuals from different backgrounds and cultures, which can be valuable in both personal and professional life.

3. How can I make my CV stand out for graduate school applications?

To make your CV stand out for graduate school applications, it is important to highlight your academic achievements, relevant work experience, and any research projects or publications. It is also crucial to tailor your CV to the specific graduate program and university you are applying to, showcasing your skills and experiences that align with their requirements.

4. What should I include in my CV for graduate school?

In addition to your educational background and work experience, your CV for graduate school should also include any relevant skills, certifications, awards, and extracurricular activities. It is important to include specific examples and accomplishments to demonstrate your strengths and qualifications.

5. How can I prepare for studying overseas?

To prepare for studying overseas, it is important to research the country and cultural norms beforehand. It can also be helpful to learn the local language and connect with other students who have studied or are currently studying in the same country. Additionally, being financially prepared and organizing necessary documents such as visas and health insurance is crucial.