Understanding Landau Level Broadening in Magnetic Fields

In summary: If you're interested in a more mathematical treatment, I suggest looking at a book like Real Analysis by James Stewart.
Muneer QAU
what is meant by landau level broadening in a magnetic field?

Physics news on Phys.org
The scope of energy level get large.

In a magnetic field, the transverse momentum of electrons are quantised into discrete Landau levels, separated in energy by the gyromagnetic frequency. Each level actually contains a continuum of states. In the presence of weak disorder, this continuum of states spread out (in energy) and gives rise to a non-degenerate density of states. Since these states are two dimensional, Anderson localisation occurs, i.e. the localisation length diverges (logarithmically). However, since in reality the samples are not infinite in extent, in each "blob" which comes from one Landau level, the middle region will still be spatially extended sufficiently to perform transport, but the edges will be insulating states.

thanks Genneth for this reply i am working on magnetotransport and have encounter with this term of Landau Level Broadening. i do not have idea of Anderson Localization please can you explain it simple term i read that landau level broadening occur due to impurity scattering how it occurs?

Thanks xiyangxixia can you elaborate the term the scope of energy level?

Roughly speaking, impurities can cause the electron to become trapped, bouncing between different impurities. Making this precise was Anderson's Nobel prize. If you are well versed in field theory, Ben Simons (google for him) has a couple of good sets of graduate lecture notes on his website.

Thanks genneth for such a nice favour :)

how to separate real and imaginary parts of a complex number??

i read that real and imaginary parts of a complex number can be separated by following equation
1/x+iη=P(1/x)-iδ(x)
where P is principal of x i dunt understand this equation can any 1 explain this?

It is the Cauchy principal value. See http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/stcs/courses/fcm/handouts/cauchy_principal_value.pdf for some notes.

Your equation is meant only in a distributional sense, i.e. they give the same thing if you integrate them with a test function.

Muneer QAU said:
i read that real and imaginary parts of a complex number can be separated by following equation
1/x+iη=P(1/x)-iδ(x)
where P is principal of x i dunt understand this equation can any 1 explain this?
the simplest example is if you have
\int \frac{f(x)}{\text{i$\epsilon $}+x} \, dx

so sometimes it is usefull to rewrite it in way
\int \frac{f(x)}{\text{i$\epsilon $}+x} \, dx=P \int \frac{f(x)}{x} \, dx-i \pi f(x)

where P means that you integrate in terms of principal value

1. What is Landau Level Broadening?

Landau Level Broadening is a phenomenon that occurs when a material is subjected to a magnetic field. It refers to the broadening of energy levels in the material due to the interaction between the electrons and the magnetic field. This broadening is caused by the uncertainty principle, which states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be simultaneously known with absolute certainty.

2. How does Landau Level Broadening affect the electronic properties of a material?

Landau Level Broadening affects the electronic properties of a material by changing the density of states and the energy levels available to the electrons. This can lead to changes in the electrical conductivity, resistivity, and other electronic properties of the material. It can also affect the behavior of the electrons, such as their mobility and scattering rates.

3. What factors contribute to Landau Level Broadening?

Several factors contribute to Landau Level Broadening, including the strength of the magnetic field, the type of material, and the temperature. The broadening is also affected by the shape and size of the material, as well as any impurities or defects present. Additionally, the Landau level broadening is dependent on the energy of the electrons and their interactions with other particles in the material.

4. How is Landau Level Broadening measured?

Landau Level Broadening can be measured through various techniques, such as magneto-optical spectroscopy, scanning tunneling microscopy, and transport measurements. These techniques allow for the observation of changes in the electronic properties of a material as it is subjected to a magnetic field, providing valuable information about the extent and nature of Landau Level Broadening.

5. What applications does understanding Landau Level Broadening have?

Understanding Landau Level Broadening is crucial in many fields, including condensed matter physics, materials science, and electronics. This knowledge can be applied in the development of new materials with specific electronic properties, as well as in the design and optimization of electronic devices, such as transistors and sensors. Additionally, understanding Landau Level Broadening can also provide insights into fundamental properties of matter and help advance our understanding of quantum mechanics.