Master Long Division: Get Help After 5 Years of Not Using It

• Thread starter maverick99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Division
In summary, the conversation was about long division involving polynomials, specifically the problem of dividing (6x^3-11x^2+14x-5) by (2x-1). The solution provided involves a trial and error method and the use of the cubic equation formula. The conversation also includes a discussion on the limitations of this method and the existence of formulae for higher powers. The output also includes a corrected version of the problem and a question about further factoring.
maverick99
It's been at least 5 years since I've used long division. I managed to do the first half but I have no clue on how to finish it. I will appreciate any kind of help.

-------

Attachments

• 6x3.doc
    19.5 KB · Views: 318
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You are doing the problem wrong since the leading term after division is 3x^2, this comes about since (2x-1)(3x^2) = 2x^2---. Your leading term of -8x^2, will not work.

alright sounds good

Don't read the attached file unless you want the answer!

It's a few decades since I thought about things like this but I do remember being unhappy with such problems!

The solution I provided follows a trial and error method whereby you have to make intelligent guesses to arrive at the right answer, i.e. to 'figure it out'! I was reasonably good at doing this but I always thought it was not a good method because I there must be some equations for which I would never be able to work through all the right combinations of possible factors. Just imagine having decimals in such equations!

Well. maths teachers while being very good at getting people through exams, generally avoid dealing with 'real world' problems...the sort that I always knew were out there and that I wouldn't be able to solve by trial and error. Luckily, the people who write exam questions are in on this conspiracy so they make sure that 'everything works out okay'! That's why I was able to guess that the denominator was probably a factor of the numerator.

In the real world: spend a few minutes trying to figure out a solution and if you don't look like getting any where then use the cubic equation formula that I supplied as a link in the attached file.

Similar formulae exist for quartic and quintic equations but, as I recall, not for higher powers.

Attachments

• 6x3 Answer.doc
    23 KB · Views: 463
Hi

For long division involving polynomials, you need a format similar to that of normal long division not involving polynomials.

3x^2-4x+5
i.e. 2x-1 )6x^3-11x^2+14x-5
subt 6x^3-3x^2
-8x^2 +14x
subt -8x^2 + 4x
10x-5
subt 10x-5

i.e 6x^3 divided by 2x = 3x^2
3x^2 multiply 2x = 6x^3
3x^3 mulptiply -1 = -3x^x

subt. 6x^3 from 6x^3=nothing
subt. -3x^2 from -11x^2=-8x^2, then you bring down the 14x inline and start the process all over again.

Ans. = 3x^2-4x+5

Sweet! Thx for the help guys!

Sorry! I made a mistake while copying and pasting plus and minus symbols!

The attached version has been corrected for typos!

Attachments

• 6x3 Answer-Corrected!.doc
    23 KB · Views: 454
There's no way to factor that further, right? Like 3x^2-4x+5=x^2-4x=15 and nothing adds up to -4 and multiplies out to 15, does it? I hate when that happens haha I feel incomplete. *tear*

- Alisa

What is long division?

Long division is a method used to divide two numbers, typically larger numbers, by breaking down the division into smaller, more manageable steps.

Why is long division important?

Long division is important because it allows us to divide larger numbers accurately and efficiently. It is also a fundamental math skill that is used in more advanced math concepts.

How do I solve a long division problem?

To solve a long division problem, you need to follow a specific set of steps. First, divide the first digit of the dividend (the number being divided) by the divisor (the number doing the dividing). Then, multiply that result by the divisor and write the product under the first digit of the dividend. Subtract the product from the first digit of the dividend and bring down the next digit. Repeat this process until you have no more digits to bring down and the remainder is less than the divisor.

What are some tips for practicing long division?

Some tips for practicing long division include using graph paper to keep your numbers organized, practicing with smaller numbers before moving on to larger ones, and using estimation to check your answer.

Can I use a calculator for long division?

While it is possible to use a calculator for long division, it is important to first understand the steps and process involved in solving a long division problem by hand. This will help you better understand the concept and identify any mistakes made when using a calculator.