Engine - Drive Shaft Coupling Torque

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the minimum acceptable diameter of a solid drive shaft and the diameter of each solid drive pin based on certain criteria, including the maximum power output of the engine, the shear stress in the drive pins and the drive shaft. The conversation also includes a discussion on converting rpm to rad/sec and using this to calculate the torque of the engine. The correct unit for shear stress is MPa, not MN/m^2. Finally, there is a clarification on the use of the moment of inertia in the equation T/J = τ/r.

Homework Statement

A solid drive shaft is connected to an engine by a coupling, which has drive pins located on a pitch circle diameter of 80 mm (Note: the diameter of the pitch circle is greater than the diameter of the drive shaft). If the maximum power output of the engine is 90kW at 5000 rev/min, the shear stress in drive pins is not to exceed 60 MN/m2, and the shear stress in drive shaft is not to exceed 70 MN/m2, determine:

(i) The minimum acceptable diameter of the shaft
(ii) If the minimum number of solid drive pins that are required is 5 determine the diameter of each pin

Homework Equations

T/J=[itex]\tau[/itex]/r

P=Tω

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked out the torque of the engine to be 47.12 MNm by using P=Tω but can I just put this value into T/J=[itex]\tau[/itex]/r to find the answer to (i)?

Physics news on Phys.org
123321: Your value for torque, T, currently looks incorrect. Try again, paying attention to units and correct unit conversions. After you obtain T, yes, you can use T in your first relevant equation.

By the way, MN/m^2 is called MPa. Always use the correct, special name for a unit. E.g., 60 MPa, not 60 MN/m^2.

nvn said:
123321: Your value for torque, T, currently looks incorrect. Try again, paying attention to units and correct unit conversions. After you obtain T, yes, you can use T in your first relevant equation.

Thanks for answering this question too nvn, I think I'm going to skip the I beam question. I've got no clue. Haha!

To convert rpm to rad/sec you times by 2[itex]\Pi[/itex]/60 right? Which give me 523.6 rad/sec. Then multiplying this by the power to give me T, which gives me the same answer.

123321: Should you not divide this into power? Check your algebra, and try again.

nvn said:
123321: Should you not divide this into power? Check your algebra, and try again.

Haha! That was embarassing...

I worked out the torque of the engine to be 171.89 and then I was going to put it into T/J=τ/r the problem is that J = 2I = Πd^4/32 so do I use 40 mm as the radius or am I supposed to have two unknowns?

1. What is an engine-drive shaft coupling torque?

An engine-drive shaft coupling torque is the measure of the rotational force or moment that is transferred from the engine to the drive shaft. It is important in determining the power and efficiency of the vehicle's engine.

2. How is engine-drive shaft coupling torque calculated?

The formula for calculating engine-drive shaft coupling torque is torque = force x distance. The force is generated by the engine and the distance is the length of the drive shaft. The resulting torque is measured in units of pound-feet (lb-ft) or Newton-meters (N-m).

3. What factors affect engine-drive shaft coupling torque?

The factors that can affect engine-drive shaft coupling torque include the engine's horsepower and torque output, the length and diameter of the drive shaft, and the type and condition of the coupling used to connect the engine and drive shaft.

4. How does engine-drive shaft coupling torque affect a vehicle's performance?

The engine-drive shaft coupling torque plays a crucial role in a vehicle's performance. It determines the acceleration and top speed of the vehicle, as well as its ability to tow heavy loads. A higher torque can result in faster acceleration and better towing capabilities.

5. What are some common issues related to engine-drive shaft coupling torque?

Some common issues related to engine-drive shaft coupling torque include wear and tear on the coupling and drive shaft, misalignment between the engine and drive shaft, and inadequate torque for the vehicle's intended use. These issues can lead to decreased performance, increased fuel consumption, and potential mechanical failures.