Electrical Circuits: Frequency Generator, Tolerance & Reactive Inductor

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between frequency generator output voltage and load impedance, the meaning of component tolerance, and the properties of a real inductor. The output voltage of a frequency generator can vary depending on the load impedance, with a higher load resulting in a lower output voltage. Component tolerance refers to the acceptable range of values for a resistor, and is not to be confused with power or voltage rating. A real inductor has some resistance and reactance, which can cause it to dissipate energy and not be ideal.
mxpxer7

Homework Statement

1. How do you expect the frequency generator output voltage to change with increasing load (decreasing
impedance)?

2. Explain the meaning of component tolerance. (E.g. Tolerance of a resistor)

3. Is a real inductor completely reactive? Why

Homework Equations

V = IR ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think I know what a frequency generator is so I am pretty much lost on part 1

Tolerence of a resistor is the limit it is rated for so 1kOhm will burn up if anything higher is forced through it

For part 3 I don't know what they mean by reactive?

Physics news on Phys.org
We know that an inductor has ideally zero resistance. It merely stores energy from the circuit, and then returns it back to the network. This is ideal. What would make it not ideal, and therefore real (ie. real life)? It's meant to not dissipate energy, merely transfer it. Any ideas?

A frequency generator is a (usually) nice looking box with a knob on the front of it for varying frequency and another knob for varying the output voltage. They can be cheap ($50) or expensive ($5000) depending how good they are.

The output is a sinewave or a square wave or possibly a triangle wave. These often have an internal resistance of 50 ohms and this is effectively in series with the output.

This should be enough to answer question 1.

Component tolerance is not what you describe. I think you were describing power rating or voltage rating.
I might say I need a resistor of 1000 ohms with a tolerance of 10%
That means I need a resistor whose actual resistance is between (1000 - 10% or 900 ohms) and (1000 + 10% or 1100 ohms).

Reactance is the equivalent of resistance for Inductors (coils) and capacitors.
In each case, it varies with frequency.
They have this property and draw current related to it, but they return the current to the supply on each half cycle of the supply waveform, so there is no net loss of power because of it.
You could read this article about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_reactance

1. What is a frequency generator and how does it work?

A frequency generator is an electronic device that produces a repeating electrical signal of a specific frequency. It works by converting a direct current (DC) input into an alternating current (AC) output at the desired frequency.

2. What is the purpose of tolerance in electrical circuits?

Tolerance in electrical circuits refers to the acceptable range of values for a component or device. It ensures that the circuit will function properly even if there are slight variations in the components used.

3. How does a reactive inductor affect the performance of an electrical circuit?

A reactive inductor, also known as an inductive reactance, is a component that resists changes in the flow of current in a circuit. It can cause a lag in the current and voltage in an AC circuit, which can affect the overall performance and stability of the circuit.

4. What are some common applications of frequency generators?

Frequency generators have a wide range of applications, including signal processing, telecommunications, audio and video equipment, medical devices, and scientific research. They are also commonly used in electronic testing and calibration.

5. Can frequency generators be used for both low and high frequency signals?

Yes, frequency generators can be used for a wide range of frequencies, from very low frequencies (VLFs) in the range of 3-30 kHz to extremely high frequencies (EHFs) above 30 GHz. The specific frequency range of a generator depends on its design and capabilities.