Proving (a+1/a)^2 + (b+1/b)^2 ≥ 25/2 Given a+b=1

• Thread starter topengonzo
  • Start date
In summary: I tried differentiating it with respect to a and i get the equationa - 1/(a^3) - (1-a) + 1/(1-a)^3 = 0 which i can't solve :SCan you show what kind of equations you got from the Lagrange multiplier technique? I think you can argue that a critical point only occurs where a=b, even if you can't explicitly solve the equations.
topengonzo

Homework Statement

How to prove (a+1/a)^2 + (b+1/b)^2 >= 25/2 given that a+b=1 and a,b positive

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried replacing b with 1-a but I get 6th degree a which I don't know how to find inequality for.
Since a and b are perfect symmetric in this problem then a=b=0.5 is of interest. I get that its the minimum.
I tried Lagrange multiplier but I get an equation with 3rd degree. By trial and error, I got solution.
Is there any other way of finding solution? By expanding it?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi topengonzo! :wink:

have you tried differentiating? :smile:

Can you show what kind of equations you got from the Lagrange multiplier technique? I think you can argue that a critical point only occurs where a=b, even if you can't explicitly solve the equations.

tiny-tim said:
hi topengonzo! :wink:

have you tried differentiating? :smile:

I differentiated it with respect to a and i get the equation

a - 1/(a^3) - (1-a) + 1/(1-a)^3 = 0 which I can't solve :S

Dick said:
Can you show what kind of equations you got from the Lagrange multiplier technique? I think you can argue that a critical point only occurs where a=b, even if you can't explicitly solve the equations.

the equations are:

2(a^4) - λ (a^3) -2 = 0
2(b^4) - λ (b^3) -2 = 0
a+b-1=0

I can solve by trial and error to get a=b=0.5 but what if there is another root for these equations

I just have to prove ab + 2/ab -4 >= 25/2 when a+b=1
How to do it without Lagrange

If (a+1/a)^2 + (b+1/b)^2 has a critical point, then if you change the sign of a or b you still have a critical point. Let's just look for critical points where a>0 and b>0. If you solve for λ you have λ=2*(a^4-1)/a^3 and λ=(b^4-1)/b^3. You want to prove f(x)=2*(x^4-1)/x^3 is a 1-1 function when x>0, so if f(a)=f(b) shows a=b. Take the derivative of f(x) and show it's always positive. That would show it's a 1-1 function.

topengonzo said:
i differentiated it with respect to a and i get the equation

a - 1/(a^3) - (1-a) + 1/(1-a)^3 = 0 which i can't solve :s

If you multiply through by the lcd, it will become

[tex]a^3(2a - 1)(1 - a)^3 - (1 - a)^3 + a^3 = 0[/tex]

You may be able to see a solution, or expand it and use the

Rational Root theorem.

Then, in part, you can test values near that value less than and greater
than it to see if it corresponds to a relative minimum.

1. Can you explain the given inequality and how it relates to the equation a+b=1?

The given inequality (a+1/a)^2 + (b+1/b)^2 ≥ 25/2 is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between the variables a and b when they are added together to equal 1. The inequality states that when a+b=1, the sum of the squared values of a+1/a and b+1/b must be greater than or equal to 25/2.

2. How can you prove the given inequality?

The inequality can be proved using mathematical techniques such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, and properties of inequalities. By manipulating the given equation a+b=1, we can show that the sum of the squared values must be greater than or equal to 25/2.

3. Is there a specific method or approach to solving this type of inequality?

Yes, there are several approaches that can be used to solve this type of inequality. Some techniques include using the AM-GM inequality, the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, or the Triangle Inequality. The specific method used may vary depending on the given equation and the variables involved.

4. Can you provide an example to illustrate the given inequality?

Sure, let's say a=2 and b=-1. When we plug these values into the equation a+b=1, we get 2+(-1)=1. Now, when we substitute these values into the inequality (a+1/a)^2 + (b+1/b)^2 ≥ 25/2, we get (2+1/2)^2 + (-1+1/-1)^2 ≥ 25/2, which simplifies to 9/4 + 4≥ 25/2. This satisfies the inequality since 9/4 + 4= 13.25 and 13.25 ≥ 25/2.

5. What are the real-world applications of this type of inequality?

Inequalities are commonly used in fields such as economics, engineering, and physics to model and solve real-world problems. For example, this type of inequality can be used to determine the minimum or maximum value of a certain variable in a given scenario. It can also be used to analyze and optimize systems with multiple variables and constraints.