What is the Best Method for Titration of a Weak Acid with a Strong Base?

In summary, the titration is difficult because the equivalence point is undefined and the pH at the equivalence point is not given. Buffers do not have anything to do with it.
[aq]
Hiya,

Im trying to determine the initial molarity of an unknown acid, sooo I am trying to titrate it with standardized sodium hydroxide solution (0.1M). But I am having a load of problems figuring out what the heck I am supposed to do since i am told the acid is a weak acid.

If I am titrating a weak acid using a strong base the equivalence point is at a pH level greater than 7 correct?

But I am not supplied with information regarding anything about the acid except that it is weak, and nothing about the pH at the equivalence point!

How would i go about doing this titration ? Does buffers have anything to do with this (since according to my textbook, the acid-base buffer should form around the halfway point to the equivalence point).

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Buffers do not have anything to do with it since strong acid/bases have no relation to buffers.

here are some hints:

Titrate to completion, at the equivalence point, that is when the acid and base have reacted in stoichiometric equivalence, the final pH will be determined by the salt formed in the reaction.

from this pH you should be able to determine the pKa of the weak acid.

Why is it better to use a weak base(such as calcium carbonate) to neutralise strong acid (such as hcl) rather than strong base?

Thank you so much

Please don't hijack threads.

And remember we want you to try first. You do have some ideas, don't you?

Last edited:
no i don't have a correct answer but i think it is because weaker acid is less likely to make the solution alkali therefore acidic salt is produced

If you start with a neutral solution, and you add calcium carbonate, what will be the final pH?

Borek said:
If you start with a neutral solution, and you add calcium carbonate, what will be the final pH?

The use of Calcium Carbonate might be a choice to employ the insolubility of calcium carbonate after all of the acid is neutralized, but is this practical/useful?

This "hijack" was also on another board, and I gave a response there.

BETTER: Start a new topic and not continue this "Calcium Carbonate - Strong Acid" topic here.

1. What is a strong base and weak acid?

A strong base is a substance that completely dissociates into ions when dissolved in water. It has a high concentration of hydroxide ions (OH-). A weak acid, on the other hand, only partially dissociates into ions and has a lower concentration of hydrogen ions (H+).

2. How does a strong base react with a weak acid?

When a strong base and a weak acid are mixed, an acid-base neutralization reaction occurs. The strong base will donate hydroxide ions to the weak acid, resulting in the formation of water and a salt. The salt will be composed of the anion from the weak acid and the cation from the strong base.

3. What is the pH of a solution containing a strong base and weak acid?

The pH of the resulting solution will depend on the strength of the acid and base. If the acid is very weak and the base is very strong, the solution will be basic with a pH above 7. If the acid is slightly weak and the base is slightly strong, the resulting solution will be close to neutral with a pH around 7.

4. How do you determine the concentration of a strong base and weak acid solution?

The concentration of a solution can be determined using the formula M1V1 = M2V2, where M1 and V1 represent the concentration and volume of the strong base, and M2 and V2 represent the concentration and volume of the weak acid. By plugging in the known values and solving for the unknown, you can determine the concentration of the solution.

5. What are some examples of strong bases and weak acids?

Strong bases include substances like sodium hydroxide (NaOH) and potassium hydroxide (KOH). Weak acids include acetic acid (CH3COOH) and carbonic acid (H2CO3). Other examples of strong bases and weak acids can be found in household products such as drain cleaners and vinegar.