J.J. Thomson's Experiment, Help

• Thread starter SuicideSteve
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, the problem involves Thomson's experimental determination of the ratio m/e of the mass to the charge of an electron using an electric and magnetic field. The resulting equations lead to a cycloid path with parametric equations x = {Em/H2e}(1 - cos([He/m]t)) and y = {Em/H2e}([He/m]t - sin([He/m]t)). The issue at hand is figuring out the constants in the final equations. One approach is to differentiate the equations and use the characteristic equation to find the general solution.
SuicideSteve
Okay, here is the problem I was given.

In Thomson's experimental determination of the ratio m/e of the mass to the charge of an electron, in which the electrons were subjected to an electric field of intensity E and a magnetic field of intensity H, the equations

m(d2x/dt2) + He(dy/dt) , m(d2y/dt2) - He(dx/dt) = 0 ,

were employed. If x=y=dx/dt=dy/dt=0 for t=0, show that the path is a cycloid whose parametric equations are:

x = {Em/H2e}(1 - cos([He/m]t))
y = {Em/H2e}([He/m]t - sin([He/m]t))

I have solved the differential equation by substituting 1 for the constants and come out with:
x = 1 - cost
y = t - sint

My problem is I can not figure out how to end up with the constants in the results.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Thanks.
Steve.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, I believe I have posted this in the wrong section, as I am asking for help.

Why did you "substitute 1 for the constants"? It doesn't really simplify anything.

Differentiating the first equation one more time,
[tex]m(d^3x/dt^3) + He(d^2y/dt^2) = 0[/tex]
and we can substitute He dx/dt for [itex]d^2y/dt^2[/itex]
so we have
[tex]m(d^3x/dt^3)+ H^2e^2dx/dt= 0[/tex]

That has characteristic equation [itex]mr^3+ H^2e^2r= r(mr^2+ H^2e^2)= 0[/itex] which has roots 0, (He/m)i and -(He/m)i so that the general solution is
[tex]x(t)= C+ Dcos((He/m)t)+ E sin((He/m)t)[/tex]
and then you can use
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}= He \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]
to find y.

1. What was J.J. Thomson's experiment?

J.J. Thomson's experiment, also known as the cathode ray experiment, was conducted in 1897 to study the properties of cathode rays and to discover the existence of electrons.

2. How did J.J. Thomson's experiment contribute to our understanding of atoms?

Thomson's experiment provided evidence for the existence of subatomic particles, specifically electrons, within atoms. This discovery led to the development of the current model of the atom with a nucleus containing protons and neutrons, surrounded by electrons.

3. What did J.J. Thomson's experiment reveal about the nature of electrons?

Thomson's experiment revealed that electrons have a negative charge and a very small mass compared to other particles in the atom. This discovery helped to explain the behavior of electrons in chemical reactions and their role in electricity.

4. How did J.J. Thomson's experiment change the scientific community's understanding of the atomic model?

Prior to Thomson's experiment, the atomic model was believed to consist of indivisible, solid particles. His discovery of subatomic particles within atoms challenged this idea and led to a new understanding of the atomic structure.

5. What is the significance of J.J. Thomson's experiment in the history of science?

J.J. Thomson's experiment was a groundbreaking discovery that provided evidence for the existence of subatomic particles and changed the way we understand the atom. It also paved the way for future advancements in atomic and particle physics, leading to our current understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter.