Tank Half Full Time: Solving the Doubling Water Tank Problem

• Thread starter Bradyns
  • Start date
In summary, the amount of water in a tank doubles every minute and if the tank was full at the 1 hour mark, it would be half full the minute before it's full, which is 59 minutes. Your working is correct, but your first equation was incorrect.
Bradyns
The amount of water in a tank doubles every minute. If the tank was full at the 1 hour mark, when was the tank half full?
=============================
It's not homework, I'm just trying to get the actual (reasoned) answer..
Here is the answer I argued (though, I'm not sure):
2^x = [(2^59)/2]
2^x = 2^58
x = 58
But, almost everyone argues:
If it doubles every minute, isn't it half full the minute before it's full? ie. 59

Pretty sure I'm incorrect, I just want to know for sure..

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The argument of everyone (not yours) is correct.
Your working is correct as well, its just that your first equation is wrong.

Last edited:
V = k*2x, where x is in minutes and k is some unknown constant (the volume of the tank at the start of the timer x=0).

At x=60 the tank is full, therefore, if we denote the full volume of the tank as Vf then Vf=k*260. Now, We want to know when the tank is half full, which is Vf/2

Clearly, Vf/2 = k*260/2 = k*259

If we compare this to the original equation, x=59 minutes as you would expect.

I know this explanation is long-winded, but I hope it got the point across as to how you should have set up the equation.

What is the purpose of asking this question online?

The purpose of asking this question online may vary. It could be to gather information, seek opinions or advice, or simply to spark a discussion.

How can I ensure that my question is answered?

To increase the likelihood of your question being answered, make sure it is clear, specific, and relevant. Also, try to provide any necessary background information and be polite in your query.

What should I do if I don't receive any responses to my question?

If you do not receive any responses to your question, you may want to try rephrasing it or posting it in a different forum or platform. It could also be helpful to reach out to individuals or groups who may have expertise in the topic you are asking about.

Are there any rules for asking questions online?

Different online platforms may have their own set of rules for asking questions. However, in general, it is important to be respectful, avoid spamming or posting irrelevant content, and follow any specific guidelines set by the platform.

Can I trust the answers I receive to my question online?

The accuracy and reliability of answers received online can vary. It is important to consider the source of the answer and do your own research to verify the information. It can also be helpful to look at multiple responses and compare them to form a well-informed opinion.