Reducing nominator's higher order.

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical dilemma regarding simplifying a transfer function in order to have a first order numerator compared to the denominator. The suggested method is to "pull out" the highest powers of "s" first and then work your way down. The conversation also touches on polynomial division and partial fractions as possible approaches to solve the dilemma. The ultimate goal is to be able to implement a custom block in LTspice for 2nd order Laplace transfer functions with RLC and test it using a custom state-space block.
blighme
Hello

I have a mathematical dilemma. How can the following transfer function be simplified:

[itex]\frac{s^{2}+1}{s+1}[/itex]

in order to be able to have a 1st order nominator, maximum, compared to the denominator. But what if there is s^2(/<1...∞>) ? Is this possible?

I know that the following can be done:

[itex]\frac{s^{2}+2*s+3}{s^{2}+s+1} → \frac{s+2}{s^{2}+s+1}+1[/itex]

but I don't know for the others above. I hope I managed to transmit the message I wanted, if not, blame my English. Can anyone help?

Anticipated thanks,
Vlad

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Start by "pulling out" the highest powers of "s" first, then work your way down. The numerator degree is one higher than the denominator, so you know you can pull out a factor of "s"

[tex]\frac{s^{2}+1}{s+1} = \frac{s(s+1)}{s+1} + \frac{-s + 1}{s+1}[/tex]

Then work on the second term in that expansion to pull out the factor of "1". What you're left with at that point will of course be a "proper" rational fraction, with the degree of the numerator lower than that of the denominator.

BTW. Do you know how to do polynomial division?

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. Yes, and it's because I saw that I can't reduce that equation, in particular, to a 1st_order/1st_order+constant form (knowing my weak mathematical skills), that I thought there might be another way.

What I obtained (after scribbling a page of notebook) was s-1+2/(s+1), apparently it's a good result because wolframalpha showed the same. But, again, I thought (hoped) that it may be another way to allow for a translation in a state-space form. This was (is) for a custom block in LTspice to allow for 2nd order Laplace transfer functions with RLC (transient simulation is very bad and even un-recommended by the help file, ac is OK, though). Testing is done with a custom state-space block and I had problems implementing a random, but plausible, function to test it. So, I got here.

Thanks for the help, though, a doubt cleared means one way closed and another opened.

blighme said:
Thank you for the reply. Yes, and it's because I saw that I can't reduce that equation, in particular, to a 1st_order/1st_order+constant form (knowing my weak mathematical skills), that I thought there might be another way.

What I obtained (after scribbling a page of notebook) was s-1+2/(s+1), apparently it's a good result because wolframalpha showed the same. But, again, I thought (hoped) that it may be another way to allow for a translation in a state-space form. This was (is) for a custom block in LTspice to allow for 2nd order Laplace transfer functions with RLC (transient simulation is very bad and even un-recommended by the help file, ac is OK, though). Testing is done with a custom state-space block and I had problems implementing a random, but plausible, function to test it. So, I got here.

Thanks for the help, though, a doubt cleared means one way closed and another opened.

If I understood correctly, this is a rather important question as it involves partial fractions (of rational functions), something pretty important in integration.

In the present case, since the numerator's degree is higher than the denominator's , we can directly divide polynomialwise:

[tex]s^2+1=(as+b)(s+1)+r=as^2+(a+b)s+b+r\Longrightarrow a=1\,,\,a+b=0\Longrightarrow b=-1\,,\,b+r=1\Longrightarrow r=2[/tex]
Thus,
[tex]\,s^2+1=(s-1)(s+1)+2\Longrightarrow\frac{s^2}{s+1}=s-1+\frac{2}{s+1}[/tex]
Of course, this case is so simple that it can be done almost "by eye", but the general case can be way more involved. Google "Partial fraction"

DonAntonio

imir

Hello Vladimir,

Thank you for reaching out with your mathematical dilemma. It is possible to simplify a transfer function in order to have a 1st order nominator compared to the denominator, but it may not always be possible to reduce a higher order term completely. In the example you provided, \frac{s^{2}+2*s+3}{s^{2}+s+1}, it is possible to simplify the nominator to a 1st order term by factoring out a common factor of s+1 from the nominator and denominator, resulting in \frac{s+2}{s+1}. However, in cases where there is a s^2 term in the nominator, it may not be possible to completely reduce it to a 1st order term. This is because the s^2 term represents a higher order term and cannot be eliminated without changing the overall function. In these cases, it may be helpful to look for alternative ways to simplify the function or to consider using a different approach altogether. I hope this helps and good luck with your mathematical problem!

1. What is "Reducing nominator's higher order"?

"Reducing nominator's higher order" refers to a mathematical process in which a fraction is simplified by dividing both the numerator and denominator by their greatest common factor.

2. Why is it important to reduce a nominator's higher order?

Reducing a nominator's higher order allows for easier computation and comparison of fractions. It also helps to provide a simpler and more concise representation of the fraction.

3. How do you reduce a nominator's higher order?

To reduce a nominator's higher order, find the greatest common factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator. Then, divide both the numerator and denominator by the GCF. The resulting fraction will be in its simplest form.

4. Can any fraction be reduced to its simplest form?

Yes, any fraction can be reduced to its simplest form. This process may require multiple steps, especially for fractions with larger numbers, but it is always possible to find the GCF and reduce the fraction.

5. Does reducing a nominator's higher order change the value of the fraction?

No, reducing a nominator's higher order does not change the value of the fraction. It only changes the way the fraction is represented, making it easier to work with in mathematical operations.