Square wave symmetric around zero volts

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of symmetry and how it relates to drawing a square wave that is symmetric around zero volts. The person asking for help is unsure of what the graph should look like and asks for an example. Another person provides a link to an image as an example and the first person expresses their understanding and thanks.
Splatapus
Hi everyone

For a pre-lab, I am asked to draw a square wave symmetric around zero volts.
I am not sure what this graph looks like, can someone give me an example?

Thank You

Engineering news on Phys.org
sym·me·try
noun \ˈsi-mə-trē\
1: balanced proportions; also : beauty of form arising from balanced proportions
2: the property of being symmetrical; especially : correspondence in size, shape, and relative position of parts on opposite sides of a dividing line or median plane or about a center or axis — compare bilateral symmetry, radial

Splatapus said:
I am asked to draw a square wave symmetric around zero volts.
I am not sure what this graph looks like, can someone give me an example?

Something like this?
hv3.jpg

FailedLaunch said:
Something like this?
[PLAIN]http://cnx.org/content/m28264/latest/hv3.jpg[/QUOTE] [Broken]

Ok Thank You! I was unsure because it said "symmetric about 0 volts" and i was wondering if the voltage would have to be the same on either side of the y-axis.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Splatapus said:
I was unsure because it said "symmetric about 0 volts" and i was wondering if the voltage would have to be the same on either side of the y-axis.
And what have you concluded?

EDIT: I'm sorry, I misread your last post. Disregard my question.

Last edited:

1. What is a square wave symmetric around zero volts?

A square wave symmetric around zero volts is a type of electrical signal that alternates between two voltage levels, with the midpoint being at zero volts. This means that the positive and negative halves of the wave are equal in amplitude and duration, creating a symmetrical shape.

2. How is a square wave symmetric around zero volts generated?

This type of wave can be generated by a function generator or by using digital circuits. It can also be created by using a series of pulses with varying widths and amplitudes.

3. What are the applications of a square wave symmetric around zero volts?

Square waves symmetric around zero volts are commonly used in digital electronics, such as in computers and microcontrollers. They are also used in signal processing, telecommunications, and audio equipment.

4. What are the advantages of using a square wave symmetric around zero volts?

One advantage is that it is easy to generate and manipulate, making it useful in digital systems. It also has a well-defined frequency spectrum, making it suitable for filtering and modulation applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using a square wave symmetric around zero volts?

One limitation is that it contains harmonics, which can cause interference in sensitive electronic equipment. It also has a high slew rate, which can cause ringing or overshoot in certain circuits.