Calculating Peak-to-Peak Voltage from RMS Measurement: A Guide for Scientists

In summary, a multimeter is used to measure a sinusoidal signal with a 2V RMS reading. To find the peak-to-peak voltage, we need to multiply the RMS value by 1.414, which gives us a peak voltage of 2.82V. The peak-to-peak voltage is twice the peak voltage, so it would be 2*2.82V, which is 5.64V. However, the problem does not specify if the 2V RMS is the peak or peak-to-peak value, so there are two possible answers. If it is the peak value, then the peak-to-peak voltage is 2.82V, but if it is the peak-to-peak
luigihs
A multimeter is used to measure a sinusoidal signal and reads 2V RMS; what is the peak-to-peak voltage of the signal? A mark will be deducted if you do not quote your answer to 2 significant figures.

This is my guess I am not really sure, there is not enough details I don't know how to get peak-topeak voltage of the signal

2 x 2 = 4

Physics news on Phys.org
volts rms are = to .707 of peak; so 1/.707 x 2 will give you peak. ptp is twice that.

So.. 1.414 x 2 = 2.83 V? am I right?

problem did not state whether 2vrms was peak or peak to peak. if peak, 1.414, if ptp
then 2.8

Ok .. but if I have instead of 2V RMS is 4 RMS I just change the 1.414 x 4 right?

Luigi, for a sine wave, .707 times peak = rms (peak); .707 times ptp = rms (ptp)
the question says volts = 2v rms but doesn't spec peak or ptp. is 2vrms peak or ptp?
we don't know. 2 answers.

rjnoonan said:
Luigi, for a sine wave, .707 times peak = rms (peak); .707 times ptp = rms (ptp)
the question says volts = 2v rms but doesn't spec peak or ptp. is 2vrms peak or ptp?

It doesn't say in the problem... only says that I have to find the peak-to-peak voltage of the signal

since he is spec'ing a sine wave go ahead and assume we are looking at the full sinusoidal wave and using peak to peak. so answer will be 1.414 times 2vrms for
peak to peak voltage.

Ok thanks :)

rjnoonan said:

There is no such thing as peak-RMS or peak-to-peak RMS. The RMS value is a quadratic mean and thus all negative signal values are treated as positive signal values.

If RMS is 2Vrms, then the peak-to-peak voltage is 2.82V.

SunnyBoyNY said:
There is no such thing as peak-RMS or peak-to-peak RMS. The RMS value is a quadratic mean and thus all negative signal values are treated as positive signal values.

If RMS is 2Vrms, then the peak-to-peak voltage is 2.82V.

No, that would be the peak voltage. Peak-to-peak is twice the peak.

gneill said:
No, that would be the peak voltage. Peak-to-peak is twice the peak.

Agreed. Peak voltage is 2.82V and peak-to-peak voltage is 2*2.82V. My mistake.

What is a peak-to-peak voltage signal?

A peak-to-peak voltage signal is a measurement of the amplitude of an alternating current (AC) or voltage signal. It represents the difference between the maximum and minimum values of the signal over a specific period of time.

How is peak-to-peak voltage calculated?

To calculate peak-to-peak voltage, you need to measure the highest and lowest points of the AC or voltage signal and then subtract the lowest value from the highest value. This will give you the total peak-to-peak voltage.

What is the importance of peak-to-peak voltage signal?

Peak-to-peak voltage is an important measurement in understanding the strength and stability of an AC or voltage signal. It can also provide information about the quality of an electrical circuit or device.

How is peak-to-peak voltage different from other voltage measurements?

Unlike other voltage measurements, peak-to-peak voltage takes into account both the positive and negative peaks of an AC or voltage signal. This provides a more comprehensive understanding of the signal's amplitude.

What factors can affect the peak-to-peak voltage signal?

The peak-to-peak voltage signal can be affected by a variety of factors such as the type of electrical circuit or device, the quality of the power source, and the presence of any electrical interference or noise.