Distance between two position vectors.

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for finding the minimum distance between two moving bodies with given position vectors. One method involves using the distance between two points formula and minimizing the function using calculus. Another method involves finding the projection of one vector onto the direction of another and using the magnitude of the resulting vector as the distance between the two lines. However, this method may not give the minimum distance between the moving bodies.
peripatein
Hi,

Supposing the position vectors of two bodies A and B are described thus: A = (a1,0,a3) + (Va,0,0)t and B = (0,b2,b3) + (Vb,Vb,0)t, where Va, Vb are constant in time. How may I find the minimum distance between these two bodies?

If the vectors are skew, then the distance comes out as a3-b3, but that is probably wrong as independent of too many of the other parameters given.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
peripatein said:
Hi,

Supposing the position vectors of two bodies A and B are described thus: A = (a1,0,a3) + (Va,0,0)t and B = (0,b2,b3) + (Vb,Vb,0)t, where Va, Vb are constant in time. How may I find the minimum distance between these two bodies?

If the vectors are skew, then the distance comes out as a3-b3, but that is probably wrong as independent of too many of the other parameters given.

##t## represents the same time for both bodies I guess, so at ##t=0## A starts at ##(a_1,0,a_3)## and B starts at ##(0,b_2,b_3)##.
Write both A and B as single vectors by adding the two terms in their formulas and use the distance between two points formula. That will be a function of ##t## that you can minimize using calculus. It will be easier if you use the distance squared in the calculations.

peripatein said:
Hi,

What is the distance between the two objects at time t ?

This can be done without resorting to calculus techniques, if you have learned how to find the projection of one vector in the direction of another. This would be a technique you use with lines that don't intersect (and for which the minimum distance is 0.)

Pick a point on each line (the two equations are parametric equations of lines in space) and form a vector - call it H. Then find the projection of H onto one of the lines - call it Pr. The vector H - Pr gives you the vector that is perpendicular to Pr. Its magnitude is the distance between the two lines.

Mark44 said:
This can be done without resorting to calculus techniques, if you have learned how to find the projection of one vector in the direction of another. This would be a technique you use with lines that don't intersect (and for which the minimum distance is 0.)

Pick a point on each line (the two equations are parametric equations of lines in space) and form a vector - call it H. Then find the projection of H onto one of the lines - call it Pr. The vector H - Pr gives you the vector that is perpendicular to Pr. Its magnitude is the distance between the two lines.

I don't think so. The minimum distance between the two moving particles won't be the same as the distance between the lines unless both particles happen to be at the closest points at the same time, which wouldn't generally be true.

How do I project vector H onto one of the lines, given their parametric equations?

peripatein said:
How do I project vector H onto one of the lines, given their parametric equations?

Don't bother with that method. Read my post #5 and my earlier post.

The equation you get that way are too cumbersome to solve, I fear. I am pretty stuck.

peripatein said:
The equation you get that way are too cumbersome to solve, I fear. I am pretty stuck.

You give up too easily. If you call D the distance squared, it is just a quadratic. Show us your effort.

LCKurtz said:
You give up too easily. If you call D the distance squared, it is just a quadratic. Show us your effort.
With what LCKurtz says above in mind:

The minimum (or maximum) of the quadratic ax2 + bx +c occurs at [itex]\displaystyle x=-\frac{b}{2a}\ .[/itex]

Show us what you get for the square of the distance.

1. What is the distance between two position vectors?

The distance between two position vectors is the magnitude of the difference between the two vectors. This can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the distance is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the differences in the x, y, and z components of the two vectors.

2. How do you find the distance between two position vectors?

The distance between two position vectors can be found by subtracting the components of one vector from the components of the other vector, and then using the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resulting vector.

3. Can the distance between two position vectors be negative?

No, the distance between two position vectors is always a positive value. It represents the length of the shortest path between the two vectors, and therefore cannot be negative.

4. What are some real-world applications of calculating the distance between two position vectors?

The distance between two position vectors is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the displacement of an object, the distance traveled, or the magnitude of a force. It is also used in navigation and mapping, such as determining the distance between two locations on a map.

5. Can the distance between two position vectors be calculated in any number of dimensions?

Yes, the distance between two position vectors can be calculated in any number of dimensions. The Pythagorean theorem can be extended to higher dimensions, making it possible to calculate the distance between vectors in three-dimensional space or even higher dimensions.