Peculiar Occurrence Needs Explanation

• Thread starter skregzilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explanation
In summary, an engineering student working in a restaurant has observed an interesting phenomenon while washing dishes in a stainless steel sink. The sanitizer drops from the rack above the sink explode upon impact with the wet surface, creating a firework-like display before slowly disappearing. It is believed that the thin film of water on the sink disrupts the sanitizer drop and causes it to diffuse into the water, resulting in it disappearing. The student suggests creating a mathematical model to further understand and compare to their observations.
skregzilla
Greetings friends,

I'm an engineering student and I currently work in a restaurant and I've observed a beautifully interesting phenomena while washing the dishes in the stainless steel sink. I'm very interested as to what causes it.

While I'm drying dishes that have just been passed through sanitizer, the sanitizer drops from the rack above the sink right onto the wet surface of the sink. The instant it hits, the drop of sanitizer explodes in all directions on the surface of the sink, almost like a firework exploding. The exploded droplets ease to halt and slowly disappear. It may seem a little lame just explaining it, but I get lost in the sight of this.

Can anybody go into detail as to what is happening? It's killing me!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
might have something to do with the thin film of water on the sink. the sanitizer drop is disrupted by impact with the sink surface and the resulting droplets skid along the wet surface of the sink while it diffuses into the water. Resulting viscous losses slow it down while its diffusing and eventually it disappears because it completely diffuses into the water.

Now what'd be cool is if you could make a mathematical model for that. I'd say the drop splashing into droplets is really hard to model but diffusion into a surface while sliding on the surface, I think, you can write down an equation with appropriate boundary conditions, and then compare to what you observe.

1. What is a "Peculiar Occurrence Needs Explanation"?

A "Peculiar Occurrence Needs Explanation" is a term used in scientific research to describe an unusual event or phenomenon that cannot be easily explained by existing theories or knowledge. It requires further investigation and analysis to understand its underlying causes and mechanisms.

2. How are "Peculiar Occurrences" identified and studied?

Scientists use various methods such as observations, experiments, and data analysis to identify and study "Peculiar Occurrences". These events are often unexpected and can be discovered through careful observation or by analyzing data from experiments or natural phenomena.

3. What are some examples of "Peculiar Occurrences"?

Examples of "Peculiar Occurrences" include unexplained natural phenomena such as ball lightning or sudden animal die-offs, as well as unexpected results in scientific experiments or observations. These events may also include unusual behavior or patterns in complex systems like the climate or the stock market.

4. Why is it important to study "Peculiar Occurrences"?

Studying "Peculiar Occurrences" is important because they can provide new insights and challenge existing scientific theories. By understanding these events, scientists can gain a better understanding of the world around us and potentially make new discoveries that can have real-world applications.

5. What are the steps involved in explaining a "Peculiar Occurrence"?

The steps involved in explaining a "Peculiar Occurrence" may vary depending on the specific event or phenomenon. However, some common steps may include collecting data, conducting experiments, analyzing results, and developing new hypotheses or theories to explain the occurrence. Collaboration and peer review are also important in the process of providing a comprehensive explanation.