Determine critical damping of multimass system

In summary: Your Name]In summary, when trying to determine the magnitude of damping in a spring mass damper system with multiple masses, you can use the formula ζ_crit = 1 / (2 * √(m1/m_eq + m2/m_eq + ... + mn/m_eq) * ω_n). This will give you the critical damping coefficient, which can then be used to calculate the damping ratio for the individual dampers in the system. However, if the scaling of the dampers is too large, it may not be possible to achieve critical damping and alternative solutions may need to be considered.
tiljoachim
Hi

I have a spring mass damper system with multiple masses. Is there any way I can calculate the magnitude of the damping in order to get a critical damped system?

I have the scaling of the dampers(c1/c2) and they are connected in series.
c_eq=c1+c2...

I tried with the formula:

ζ=1=c_eq/(2*m_eq*ω_n)

ω_n=√(k/m)

But it doesn't give the correct results so I did a FFT of the response to find the most dominating frequency and put in this new omega but without succes. Is it possible at all to determine a damping that satisfies this if the scaling(c1/c2) is to large?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out with your question about calculating the magnitude of damping in a spring mass damper system. The critical damping coefficient for a system with multiple masses can be calculated using the following formula:

ζ_crit = 1 / (2 * √(m1/m_eq + m2/m_eq + ... + mn/m_eq) * ω_n)

Where m_eq is the equivalent mass of the system and ω_n is the natural frequency. The equivalent mass, m_eq, can be calculated by summing the individual masses in the system.

In order to calculate the natural frequency, ω_n, you can use the formula you mentioned:

ω_n = √(k / m_eq)

Where k is the spring constant of the system.

Once you have calculated the critical damping coefficient, you can then use this value to determine the damping ratio for the individual dampers in the system. The damping ratio, ζ, can be calculated using the following formula:

ζ = c / (2 * √(m * k))

Where c is the damping coefficient and m is the mass of the individual damper.

If the scaling of the dampers (c1/c2) is too large, it may not be possible to achieve critical damping in the system. In this case, you may need to adjust the scaling of the dampers or consider using a different type of damping system.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is critical damping?

Critical damping is a state in which a system returns to equilibrium without oscillating. It occurs when the damping force on a system is equal to the critical damping coefficient, which is the minimum amount of damping required to prevent oscillation.

2. How is critical damping calculated?

The critical damping coefficient can be calculated using the formula: Cc = 2*sqrt(m*k), where m is the mass of the system and k is the spring constant. This formula assumes that the system is linear and has no external forces acting on it.

3. What is the significance of critical damping in a multimass system?

In a multimass system, each individual mass has its own natural frequency of oscillation. Critical damping ensures that all masses in the system return to equilibrium without any residual oscillations. This is important for stability and precision in the system's performance.

4. How does the amount of damping affect the critical damping of a multimass system?

The amount of damping directly affects the critical damping of a multimass system. If the damping is too low, the system will exhibit oscillations. If the damping is too high, the system will take longer to return to equilibrium. Only at the critical damping coefficient will the system return to equilibrium without oscillating.

5. Can critical damping be achieved in a real-world multimass system?

In theory, it is possible to achieve critical damping in a real-world multimass system. However, in practice, it may be difficult to precisely control the damping force and coefficient. Therefore, a practical approach would be to aim for a damping coefficient that is close to the critical value in order to minimize residual oscillations.