400v Transformer for Geiger circuit

In summary, a 400v transformer is a crucial component in a Geiger circuit, which is used for detecting and measuring radiation. The transformer steps up the voltage from the power source to 400v, which is necessary for the Geiger-Muller tube to function properly. It also isolates the high voltage from the rest of the circuit, ensuring safety and preventing damage to other components. The use of a 400v transformer is essential in creating an accurate and reliable Geiger counter for detecting radiation.
turtleaja
I'm trying to find a transformer for this circuit:

http://www.pocketmagic.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/geiger-simple-1b.jpg

I don't really know what to look for but I did find this:

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G13599

If that outputs 200v can I just put two together and it will double the voltage?

Sorry if I'm completely off base here, but I also don't understand how AC would work in this circuit if the rest is in DC?

Engineering news on Phys.org
turtleaja said:
I'm trying to find a transformer for this circuit:

http://www.pocketmagic.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/geiger-simple-1b.jpg

I don't really know what to look for but I did find this:

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G13599

If that outputs 200v can I just put two together and it will double the voltage?

Sorry if I'm completely off base here, but I also don't understand how AC would work in this circuit if the rest is in DC?

Welcome to the PF.

Can't you just contact the PocketMagic folks to see if the transformer can be purchased somewhere? And no, you can't use 2 of the 200V transformers somehow in the DC-DC circuit.

And with your limited knowledge of electronics, do you really think it's safe for you to be working with a 400Vdc circuit? Why not start with safer projects until you build up your knowledge?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Can't you just contact the PocketMagic folks to see if the transformer can be purchased somewhere? And no, you can't use 2 of the 200V transformers somehow in the DC-DC circuit.

And with your limited knowledge of electronics, do you really think it's safe for you to be working with a 400Vdc circuit? Why not start with safer projects until you build up your knowledge?

Thank you for the kind welcome.

Honestly, I tried to find out how to contact them but I didn't put to much effort into it because the circuit I am using is not their updated schematic.

The reason why I'm working on this is because it's for a school project and the way the rules work I can either do this or fail (it's a fail this fail the class kind of project).

Well, thanks anyways

turtleaja said:
Thank you for the kind welcome.

Honestly, I tried to find out how to contact them but I didn't put to much effort into it because the circuit I am using is not their updated schematic.

The reason why I'm working on this is because it's for a school project and the way the rules work I can either do this or fail (it's a fail this fail the class kind of project).

Well, thanks anyways

So you are required to make a Geiger counter? Perhaps you can do some more searching to find a different schematic that has more info and parts sourcing info...

I like to use Google Images for this kind of search. In this case the search terms would be Geiger counter schematic.

berkeman said:
So you are required to make a Geiger counter? Perhaps you can do some more searching to find a different schematic that has more info and parts sourcing info...

I like to use Google Images for this kind of search. In this case the search terms would be Geiger counter schematic.

When I went looking at different schematics the one I chose looks to be the simplest and take up the least amount of space. I found all the parts too just not what is essentially the most important part.

Actually, I ordered all the parts because I thought the Zener diodes raised the voltage and I couldn't quite understand what the transformer was for. Now I see my mistake...

I just don't know the first place to look to even purchase a transformer that has those specifications.

turtleaja said:
When I went looking at different schematics the one I chose looks to be the simplest and take up the least amount of space. I found all the parts too just not what is essentially the most important part.

Actually, I ordered all the parts because I thought the Zener diodes raised the voltage and I couldn't quite understand what the transformer was for. Now I see my mistake...

I just don't know the first place to look to even purchase a transformer that has those specifications.

One way to search for typical examples of a component is to go to DigiKey.com and use their Parametric Search feature. I went to DigiKey and did a search on Flyback, then clicked into the DC-DC transformer selection, and searched on the Flyback type of transformer. That got me here:

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dkse...wproducts=0&ptm=0&fid=0&quantity=0&PV405=1458

Down near the bottom of the table you can see some photos of typical small flyback transformers, as well as listings of some typical manufacturers. You might go to those manufacturers' websites and search on the Mfg P/Ns listed at DigiKey, to see what their datasheets look like. They are typically paired up with IC manufacturer's DC-DC converter ICs, so you can also look at the websites of TI, Linear Technology, etc., to see the application circuits typically used to drive these transformers...

1. What is a 400v transformer?

A 400v transformer is an electrical device that is used to convert high voltage electricity (usually 400v) into a lower voltage that is suitable for use in electronic circuits.

2. How does a 400v transformer work?

A 400v transformer works on the principle of electromagnetic induction. It has two coils, a primary coil and a secondary coil, wrapped around a core. When an alternating current flows through the primary coil, it creates a changing magnetic field which induces a current in the secondary coil, thus stepping down the voltage.

3. Why is a 400v transformer necessary for a Geiger circuit?

A Geiger circuit requires a high voltage (around 400v) to operate, as it needs to create a strong electric field to detect and measure ionizing radiation. A 400v transformer is necessary to provide this high voltage in a safe and controlled manner.

4. Can a 400v transformer be used for other circuits besides a Geiger circuit?

Yes, a 400v transformer can be used for other circuits that require a high voltage, such as in power supplies for electronic devices or in industrial equipment. However, it is important to note that each circuit may have different voltage and current requirements, so the transformer must be chosen carefully to ensure compatibility.

5. Are there any safety precautions to be aware of when using a 400v transformer for a Geiger circuit?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be followed when using a 400v transformer for a Geiger circuit. These include using proper insulation, grounding, and protective equipment, as well as following proper handling and maintenance procedures. It is important to consult a professional or thoroughly research the proper safety measures before using a 400v transformer for any circuit.