Calculation of Thrust/Axial loads on Cantilever Turbine Shaft

In summary, calculating the axial loads in a Wells Turbine can be a complex task, but understanding the principles of fluid dynamics and aerodynamics, as well as the design and geometry of the turbine, can help. It may also be helpful to consult with experts and look for relevant academic resources.
R4de0n
Hi, I am having a little trouble with how to go about calculating the axial loads being developed in a Wells Turbine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wells_turbine
I am looking at OWC's (Oscillating Water Columns) in particular

The Wells Turbine is designed to rotate in the same direction regardless of the direction of the air flowing across it, which in this case alternates . There are numerous papers out there, delving into efficiencies depending on blade profiles and guide vane angles, all using CFD to model the performance but none approach the problem of thrust loading on the shaft.

In the particular turbine I am analysing, there are no guide vanes and over time the motor and bearings are experiencing wear and tear because of the oscillating thrust loads generated by Cantilever turbine shaft.

I am hoping there is a way to calculate the axial loads by hand rather than by using CFD. Could it be done using force vector triangles?

Any advice/help or the name of book/academic paper which could be helpful would be greatly appreciated. I have been looking myself but have failed to find anything concrete relating to this.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with calculating the axial loads in a Wells Turbine. I understand your frustration with the lack of information available on this specific topic.

To start, I would recommend looking into the principles of fluid dynamics and aerodynamics, as these are the underlying principles governing the performance of the Wells Turbine. In particular, you may want to focus on the concept of lift and drag forces, as these are the main factors contributing to the axial loads on the turbine shaft.

Next, I would suggest looking into the specific design and geometry of the turbine blades and their orientation in relation to the air flow. This will help you determine the direction and magnitude of the lift and drag forces acting on the blades, which in turn will affect the axial loads on the shaft.

You may also want to consider the effects of turbulence and other flow disturbances on the performance of the turbine, as these can also contribute to the axial loads.

In terms of calculations, it may be possible to use force vector triangles to determine the axial loads on the shaft, but this will depend on the specific design and geometry of the turbine. It may also be helpful to consult with experts in the field or to look for academic papers or textbooks on Wells Turbine design and performance.

I hope this helps guide you in your analysis and calculations. Best of luck with your research!

1. What is the purpose of calculating thrust/axial loads on a cantilever turbine shaft?

The calculation of thrust/axial loads on a cantilever turbine shaft is necessary in order to ensure that the shaft can withstand the forces and stresses that are exerted on it during operation. This information is crucial for the design and construction of the turbine, as well as for maintenance and safety purposes.

2. How is thrust/axial load calculated on a cantilever turbine shaft?

The calculation of thrust/axial load on a cantilever turbine shaft involves taking into account the weight of the turbine, the weight of the fluid it is pushing, and the angular velocity of the shaft. This information is then used to determine the force and direction of the load on the shaft.

3. What factors can affect the thrust/axial load on a cantilever turbine shaft?

The thrust/axial load on a cantilever turbine shaft can be affected by various factors such as the speed of the turbine, the density and viscosity of the fluid being pushed, the diameter and length of the shaft, and any external forces such as winds or vibrations.

4. How can thrust/axial load calculations be used in the design of a cantilever turbine shaft?

The results of thrust/axial load calculations are crucial in determining the appropriate materials and dimensions for the turbine shaft. This information is used to ensure that the shaft is strong enough to withstand the expected forces and stresses, while also being lightweight and efficient.

5. Are there any safety considerations related to thrust/axial load on a cantilever turbine shaft?

Yes, the calculation of thrust/axial load is important for safety purposes as well. If the load on the shaft exceeds its capacity, it can lead to structural failure, which can result in equipment damage, downtime, and potentially hazardous situations for workers and the surrounding environment.