Is Corrosion to Blame for Leaked Pepsi in Unopened Can?

• Thread starter Speed
  • Start date
In summary, a can of Pepsi Max that was bought 5 years ago was found half empty in a cupboard with a light brown stain on the shelf. The cause of the leak is uncertain, but it could be due to slow diffusion or corrosion. It is unknown if it would be unhealthy to drink the remaining Pepsi, as there could be a high concentration of corroded aluminum ions. It is also unclear what drinking aluminum ions could do to a person. This could be a unique incident or a result of a defect in the can or the Pepsi Max product range. Some suggest that it could be a result of evaporation and heat cycles. There is also speculation that the can may have had a flaw in its lining, which could lead to
Speed
About 5 years ago I bought a can of Pepsi Max. It sat at the back of a cupboard since. Whilst tidying out the cupboard, I found the can. It was however half empty. The weird part is that the can was never opened. About 150ml of Pepsi had to have leaked out, but visible on the shelf was a light brown stain.

There are a couple of questions here:
1) How did the Pepsi get out? I'm assuming slow diffusion. Corrosion is troubling to consider.
2) Apart from it probably being flat, would it be unhealthy to drink the remaining Pepsi? Would you expect a high concentration of corroded aluminium ions in the drink?
3) What would drinking aluminium ions do to you?
4) Would you expect this to be unique to the can (a material defect), the product range (Pepsi Max) or acidic/low pH carbonated drinks in general?

Physics news on Phys.org
That is very interesting and strange. I've never heard anything like that!

In an attempt to answer your questions:
1) I would also assume slow diffusion, but corrosion can't be ruled out entirely...do you know that coke can clean away rust among other things?
2) I might expect a higher concentration of aluminum ion levels...it only makes sense since its been in there for 5 years. Although I'm not sure it would be harmful to you...but then agan I'm not a medical professional so I wouldn't advise you in actually ingesting it.
3) I have no bloody clue what they might do to you.
4) I would think it would be either a product range thing or a material defect in the can.

It would have to be a failure of the can. Either a manufacturing defect caused incomplete sealing between the can base and sides, or (more likely, in my opinion) the lining within the can was not properly applied. Pepsi Britvic use steel cans (Coca Cola use aluminium) so if the steel was exposed then corrosion of the can would have been not only possible, but also pretty likely.

Why don't you dissect the can, clean it out, and have a look?

I suspect this is a result of simple evaporation. Coupled with heat cycles. As the Can heats it would force gas out through the tab. I'm willing to bet the concentration of the syrup would be higher and replacing that 150 ml with water would bring it close to the original formula.

Could Be wrong though Who knows.

Oooo but how to account for the brown stain?

That's the dilemma I face every morning.

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)

Maybe the atoms in the pepsi aligned perfectly with the atoms in the bottom of the can, so that the liquid fell through the bottom? :biggrin:

According to my mom, drinking from aluminum cans gives you alzheimer's. Apparently that's why I have such a bad memory. She explained why, but I forget the details.

you can rule out corrosion AND alzheimers. All of the metal soda containers are lined with a thin layer of plastic. Don't believe me? next time you open a can, look at the tab closely, and you will probably be able to see some plastic frays around the edge of the lid. If they didn't line the interior, I think it would be exceptionally dangerous to drink and bloody disgusting to boot.

SelmerSaxMan said:
you can rule out corrosion AND alzheimers. All of the metal soda containers are lined with a thin layer of plastic. Don't believe me? next time you open a can, look at the tab closely, and you will probably be able to see some plastic frays around the edge of the lid. If they didn't line the interior, I think it would be exceptionally dangerous to drink and bloody disgusting to boot.

But if the liner contained a flaw caused by a manufacturing defect, corrosion would be probable, especially over such time periods.

1. How did the "wierd occurrence with Pepsi" happen?

The exact cause of the "wierd occurrence with Pepsi" is still unknown. However, it is suspected that it could be due to a contamination or chemical reaction during the manufacturing process.

2. Is it safe to consume Pepsi after the "wierd occurrence"?

It is best to avoid consuming any Pepsi products that were involved in the "wierd occurrence" until further investigation is conducted. If you have already consumed the product and experienced any adverse effects, seek medical attention immediately.

3. Have there been any similar incidents with Pepsi in the past?

Yes, there have been previous incidents where Pepsi products were recalled due to contamination or other issues. However, each incident is unique and may have different causes.

4. What is being done to prevent future "wierd occurrences" with Pepsi?

The company is currently investigating the cause of the "wierd occurrence" and implementing measures to prevent it from happening again in the future. This may include stricter quality control processes and improved safety protocols.

5. Should I report my own experience with the "wierd occurrence" to Pepsi?

Yes, if you have personally experienced the "wierd occurrence" with Pepsi, you should report it to the company. This will help them gather more information and take necessary actions to prevent similar incidents in the future.