QUICKIE FV or PV? FUTURE OR PRESENT

• Thread starter aisha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of creating a line diagram for a financial question involving a snowmobile purchase. The formula used is the present value formula, and the payments are made monthly over a period of 5 years. The line diagram includes the initial $9000 and the monthly payments labeled as R. The conversation also addresses the concern of only including 5 periods in the line diagram, and the correct number of periods is shown in the updated diagram.
aisha
HI I need to make a line diagram for this question and don't know what formula to use future or present can someone tell me please

Mike wants to buy a snowmobile. His parents decide to lend $9000 at 10%/a compounded monthly, if he agrees to repay the amount by making equal monthly (at the end of the month) payments for 5 years.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mike's getting the $9000 today, so put that value at time zero. Then put his monthly payments on and adjust all the money to the same convenient time, present value will be the most convenient.

I was thinking something like this

NOW___________R_________R__________R__________R___________R
..l.....1.....2....3...4....5
R(1+(.10/12))^-1
R(1+(.10/12))^-2...
R(1+(.10/12))^-3.......
R(1+(.10/12))^-4..........
R(1+(.10/12))^-5.............

Where the number 1-5= years
R=payment

Now and year One are together I am not writing $9000 for now because the time line is supposed to show the payment and the time and the value of each payment at each time. CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG? am I on the right track? I just wanted to know whether these formulas in this time line are FV or PV. In the next question I have to find the monthly payment that's why in the time line I have simply labeled the monthly period R is this ok?

aisha said:
Now and year One are together I am not writing $9000 for now because the time line is supposed to show the payment and the time and the value of each payment at each time.

You can put the $9000 on the same line. It's fine if you have (money in) and (money out) on the same line.

I'm concerned that your line only went to 5 periods. Too much of a coincidence to stop there when it's 5 years. Remember the payments are monthly, so there's a lot more than 5 of them!

NOW->$9000____R___R___R___R___ _ _ _ _____R______R_
..l...Months->.1...2...3...4... . . . ...48...60
R(1+(.10/12))^-1
R(1+(.10/12))^-2...
R(1+(.10/12))^-3.....
R(1+(.10/12))^-4.....
R(1+(.10/12))^-48....... ...
R(1+(.10/12))^-60....... ......

R=payment

Well what do u think now?? U LIKE? BETTER?

What is QUICKIE FV?

QUICKIE FV, or quick future value, is a mathematical concept used to calculate the value of an investment in the future. It takes into account the initial investment, interest rate, and time period to determine the final value of the investment.

What is QUICKIE PV?

QUICKIE PV, or quick present value, is a mathematical concept used to calculate the current value of a future investment. It takes into account the future value, interest rate, and time period to determine the present value of the investment.

What is the difference between FUTURE and PRESENT?

FUTURE refers to a time that is yet to come, while PRESENT refers to the current time. In the context of investments, future value refers to the value of an investment at a future date, while present value refers to the current value of a future investment.

Which is more important, FUTURE or PRESENT?

Both FUTURE and PRESENT are important in the context of investments. FUTURE value helps us determine the potential growth of an investment, while PRESENT value helps us make decisions about the current worth of an investment.

How can QUICKIE FV and PV be used in real life?

QUICKIE FV and PV can be used in real life to make informed investment decisions. By calculating the future and present values of different investment options, individuals and businesses can determine the most profitable and financially sound choices for their money.