Thevenin equivalent phasor domain dependent voltage source

In summary: So the equation becomes V(ex)/0.2 + (V(ex)-0.2I)/0.2 - I(ex)+V(ex)/0.2 = 0.In summary, the homework statement is to find thevenin equivalent of a circuit at terminals (a,b). The attempt at a solution is to find V(th), which is the voltage across the 2ohm resistor, and then find I, which is unknown. The equation for R(th) is V(ex)/I(ex) = 1/15.
asdf12312

Homework Statement

determine thevenin equivalent of circuit at terminals (a,b):
cqeer.png

Homework Equations

Z(L)=jwL
Z(C)=-j/wC
V(th)=V(oc)
R(th)=V(ex)/I(ex)

The Attempt at a Solution

actually 1st i need help with finding V(th). i do know that V(th) would be the voltage across the 2ohm resistor, so 2*I. i suppose i just need to find I, but i have no idea how to do that, since there's no independent voltage/current sources. i have tried mesh analysis for instance: 0.2I+ 0.2I + 0.2I = 0. maybe i am trying the wrong method. for R(th) i know i would have to try the V(ex) method, but 1st i need to find V(th).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
asdf12312 said:

Homework Statement

determine thevenin equivalent of circuit at terminals (a,b):
cqeer.png

Homework Equations

Z(L)=jwL
Z(C)=-j/wC
V(th)=V(oc)
R(th)=V(ex)/I(ex)

The Attempt at a Solution

actually 1st i need help with finding V(th). i do know that V(th) would be the voltage across the 2ohm resistor, so 2*I. i suppose i just need to find I, but i have no idea how to do that, since there's no independent voltage/current sources. i have tried mesh analysis for instance: 0.2I+ 0.2I + 0.2I = 0. maybe i am trying the wrong method. for R(th) i know i would have to try the V(ex) method, but 1st i need to find V(th).

I don't see a 2 Ohm resistor in the diagram.

If there are no independent sources to stimulate the dependent source, you've got no choice but to add one...

sorry meant 0.2ohm resistor. and does that mean i need to add an external voltage source V(ex) in order to find v(th)?

asdf12312 said:
sorry meant 0.2ohm resistor. and does that mean i need to add an external voltage source V(ex) in order to find v(th)?

Well, if you pin the output with a fixed voltage then you lose the Vth as a variable. But you can find the Rth that way by dividing the applied potential by the current driven into the port.

On the other hand, it looks as though the Vth should be zero since the open-circuit output voltage is zero.

OK, so I add an external voltage source at terminals (a,b) on the right side so there is no open circuit anymore. at the top node the KCL is:
V(ex)/0.2 + (V(ex)-0.2I)/0.2 - I(ex) = 0

also, since I= -V(ex)/0.2:
V(ex)/0.2 + (V(ex)+V(ex))/0.2 = I(ex)
I(ex) = (3*V(ex))/0.2 = 15*V(ex)

R(th)= V(ex)/I(ex) = 1/15= 0.066ohm. is that right?

Last edited:
If you put a voltage source Vex at a-b the node voltage won't also be Vex; there are components between the node and Vex.

1. What is Thevenin equivalent phasor domain dependent voltage source?

The Thevenin equivalent phasor domain dependent voltage source is a simplified representation of a complex electrical circuit in the phasor domain. It is used to analyze the behavior of a circuit and determine the voltage across a specific component without having to solve the entire circuit.

2. How is Thevenin equivalent phasor domain dependent voltage source calculated?

The Thevenin equivalent phasor domain dependent voltage source is calculated by finding the open-circuit voltage and the internal impedance of a circuit. The open-circuit voltage is the voltage across the circuit when no current is flowing, and the internal impedance is the equivalent resistance of the circuit.

3. What is the significance of Thevenin equivalent phasor domain dependent voltage source?

The Thevenin equivalent phasor domain dependent voltage source is significant because it allows for a simpler analysis of complex circuits. It reduces the number of variables and equations needed to solve a circuit, making it easier to understand and design.

4. Can Thevenin equivalent phasor domain dependent voltage source be used in AC circuits?

Yes, Thevenin equivalent phasor domain dependent voltage source can be used in AC circuits. In fact, it is specifically designed for use in AC circuits, as it allows for the analysis of circuits in the frequency domain.

5. How is Thevenin equivalent phasor domain dependent voltage source different from Norton equivalent phasor domain dependent current source?

The Thevenin and Norton equivalent phasor domain dependent sources are mathematically equivalent and can be used interchangeably. However, the main difference is that Thevenin equivalent uses a voltage source while Norton equivalent uses a current source. The choice between them depends on the type of analysis needed for a particular circuit.