Thermodynamics: piston/cylinder problem

In summary, the problem involves a piston/cylinder containing 2 kg of water at 20 degrees Celsius with a volume of .1 cubic meters that is accidentally locked, preventing the water from moving. The task is to determine the final temperature and volume, as well as the process work, after heating the water to saturated vapor. Relevant equations include the specific heat of liquid water and the specific heat at constant volume. Possible approaches include using the ideal gas law and an equation of state, but it is not clear if the student has been taught about steam tables.
cdot

Homework Statement

A piston/cylinder contains 2 kg of water at 20 degrees Celsius with a volume of .1 cubic meters. By mistake,someone locks the piston, preventing it from moving while we heat the water to saturated vapor. Find the final temperature and volume and the process work

Homework Equations

I think these are relevant equations?:
specific heat of liquid water is 4.22 kJ/kg*K
specific heat at constant volume is the partial derivative of u (internal energy) with respect to T

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to begin. Based on the mass of the water and the value of specific heat I know that the energy required to raise the temperature by 1 kelvin is 8.44. Since the specific heat is the derivative of internal energy I know that if I were to integrate 4.22 with respect to temperature from 293 K to t2 I would get the change in internal energy but t2 is one of the things I don't know

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the final volume and work done seem pretty obvious - if I'm not missing anything -
As for the temperature, did they give you steam tables or other saturtion information? You have to calcuate your specific volume to use them.

Anyone else? Am I missing something big?

Are you allowed to use the steam tables to solve this problem? Otherwise, do you have an equation for the saturated vapor pressure as a function of temperature?

Glad to see you joined in, Chester! (Right now I don't see how p vs. T helps, but I know you'll show us ... )

rude man said:
Glad to see you joined in, Chester! (Right now I don't see how p vs. T helps, but I know you'll show us ... )

Hey Rude Man. If the final pressure isn't too high, you can solve for the final pressure and temperature by knowing the saturated pressure vs temperature, and applying the ideal gas law under the constraint that the final density is fixed.

Ooh, ideal gas law! That woulkd not have occurred to me. Is it really valid at the saturation point? I thought it was only good when you're well into the superheated region.

rude man said:
Ooh, ideal gas law! That woulkd not have occurred to me. Is it really valid at the saturation point? I thought it was only good when you're well into the superheated region.

Hi Rude man,

Well, it's certainly valid at the saturation point if the temperature is low enough. Consider the saturation vapor pressure of water at 20 C, which is only 17.5 mm Hg. But, as you approach the critical temperature, of course, the ideal gas law is not a good approximation at saturation. In any event, for this problem, one could switch to an appropriate EOS for water if one found that the final pressure and temperature were such that the water vapor could not be regarded as ideal.

Chet

Thanks Chet. But I must ask - what is EOS? A better state equation like van der Waals? Or steam table? Sure seems easier to go to the tables or accurate T-v diagram!

PS - hope the OP can join us sometime ... :smile:

rude man said:
Thanks Chet. But I must ask - what is EOS? A better state equation like van der Waals? Or steam table? Sure seems easier to go to the tables or accurate T-v diagram!

PS - hope the OP can join us sometime ... :smile:

Hey, Rude Man.

EOS = Equation of State

I would always tend to like to use a z-factor plot, particularly in a problem like this where only one state is involved. Of course, as we both told the OP, steam tables would be preferred, but we are not sure whether the OP has been taught about the steam tables yet.

Chet

1. What is a piston/cylinder problem in thermodynamics?

A piston/cylinder problem in thermodynamics involves analyzing the behavior of a gas confined in a cylinder with a movable piston. This problem often focuses on the changes in pressure, volume, and temperature of the gas as the piston moves.

2. How is the ideal gas law used in solving piston/cylinder problems?

The ideal gas law, PV=nRT, is used in solving piston/cylinder problems to relate the pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of gas in the system. This law is derived from the fundamental principles of thermodynamics and is applicable to most gases at low pressures and high temperatures.

3. What is the significance of the first law of thermodynamics in piston/cylinder problems?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In piston/cylinder problems, this law is important in understanding how the changes in pressure, volume, and temperature of the gas are related to the work done on or by the gas and the heat exchanged.

4. How does the second law of thermodynamics apply to piston/cylinder problems?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in any spontaneous process, the total entropy of a closed system will always increase. In piston/cylinder problems, this law is important in understanding the direction of heat flow and the irreversibility of certain processes, such as heat transfer through a temperature difference.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving piston/cylinder problems in thermodynamics?

Piston/cylinder problems in thermodynamics have many real-life applications, such as in the design of engines, refrigeration systems, and air compressors. They are also used in understanding the behavior of gases in various industrial processes, such as combustion and power generation.