[ANSYS] Simulation of Permanent Magnets

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of ANSYS for simulating magnetic forces, with the user being an intermediate ANSYS user but primarily familiar with APDL. The user is having difficulty defining the material for a NdFeB magnet and wants to know if it can be done in APDL or if they should use Workbench. They also mention wanting help creating a material file using manufacturer specifications.
Badger33
I have a project where I need to simulate the magnetic forces with ANSYS. I'm and intermediate ANSYS user but I have really only worked with APDL, and if possible I would like to do it in the GUI.

So my problem is that I have only ever done structural and thermal models in ANSYS.

I am using APDL 14.5 and am having difficulty properly defining the material that is my NdFeB magnet. My initial iteration is with a 45SH magnet. I will also be simulating an electromagnet moving relative to this permanent magnet. Can I do all this in APDL? Or should I move to Workbench where I know nothing.

If someone could help me create even just a material file that I could reference for the magnets that would be helpful. Here is a link to what the manufacturer is reporting as the specs, http://www.supermagnete.de/eng/data_table.php additionally they say the general specs for all of their NdFeB magnets are, http://www.supermagnete.de/eng/faq/What-material-are-your-magnets-sheets-and-tapes-made-of

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey, have you work it out? I met the same questions with you, could you please tell me how you sort it out? Cheers

1. What is ANSYS Simulation of Permanent Magnets?

ANSYS Simulation of Permanent Magnets is a software tool used for simulating the behavior and performance of permanent magnets in various applications. It uses finite element analysis (FEA) techniques to accurately model the physical properties and behavior of permanent magnets, such as magnetic flux density and magnetic field strength.

2. What are the benefits of using ANSYS Simulation of Permanent Magnets?

Using ANSYS Simulation of Permanent Magnets allows for a more efficient and cost-effective design process, as it eliminates the need for physical prototypes and testing. It also provides a deeper understanding of the magnetic properties and behavior of permanent magnets, allowing for optimized designs and improved performance.

3. Can ANSYS Simulation of Permanent Magnets be used for different types of permanent magnets?

Yes, ANSYS Simulation of Permanent Magnets can be used for various types of permanent magnets, including rare-earth magnets, ferrite magnets, and alnico magnets. It can also simulate different shapes and configurations of permanent magnets, such as cylindrical, rectangular, and disc-shaped magnets.

4. How accurate is ANSYS Simulation of Permanent Magnets?

ANSYS Simulation of Permanent Magnets is known for its high accuracy in predicting the behavior of permanent magnets. It takes into account various factors such as material properties, geometry, and operating conditions to provide realistic and reliable simulations.

5. Can ANSYS Simulation of Permanent Magnets be integrated with other software?

Yes, ANSYS Simulation of Permanent Magnets can be integrated with other ANSYS software, such as ANSYS Maxwell and ANSYS Mechanical, to provide a more comprehensive simulation of electromagnetic and structural behavior. It can also be integrated with other third-party software for specific applications.