Help- parallel axis theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the moment of inertia of a cube about an axis through one of its edges. The solution is found using the parallel axis theorem and involves finding the displacement of the axis from the center of mass. The final answer is expressed in terms of the mass and edge length of the cube.
~angel~
Could someone please help me with a particular question to this problem?

Consider a cube of mass m with edges of length a. The moment of inertia I_0 of the cube about an axis through its center of mass and perpendicular to one of its faces is given by I_0 = 1/6ma^2. Find I_edge, the moment of inertia about an axis p through one of the edges of the cube.
Express I_edge in terms of m and a. Use fractions rather than decimal numbers in your answer.

You know how the parallel axis theorem is I_edge = I_0 +md^2, what exactly is d in this particular problem. I tried a/2, and I tried using pythagoras' theorem to determine one of the diagonals, getting an answer of d= sqrt(2a^2)/2. Both answers where wrong when i substituted it into the equation.

A picture is available below.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• MRB_mi_8.jpg
    MRB_mi_8.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 1,068
Physics news on Phys.org
~angel~ said:
what exactly is d in this particular problem

d is the displacement of the axis from the center of mass.

Now,

[tex]I_{edge} = I_0 + md^2 = \frac{1}{6}ma^2 + \frac{1}{2}ma^2 = \frac{2}{3}ma^2[/tex].

That should be the answer.

Hi there,

To find the moment of inertia about an axis through one of the edges of the cube, we can use the parallel axis theorem, which states that the moment of inertia about any axis parallel to the original axis is equal to the moment of inertia about the original axis plus the product of the mass and the square of the distance between the two axes.

In this problem, the original axis is through the center of mass and perpendicular to one of the faces, and the parallel axis is through one of the edges. So, we can use the equation I_edge = I_0 + md^2, where d is the distance between the two axes.

To find the value of d, we can use the Pythagorean theorem. If we draw a diagonal from one corner of the cube to the opposite corner, we can see that the distance between the two axes is equal to the length of this diagonal. So, d = √(a^2 + a^2) = √2a.

Substituting this value into the equation, we get:

I_edge = 1/6ma^2 + m(√2a)^2

= 1/6ma^2 + 2ma^2

= 1/6ma^2 + 12/6ma^2

= 13/6ma^2

So, the moment of inertia about an axis through one of the edges of the cube is 13/6ma^2. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the parallel axis theorem?

The parallel axis theorem states that the moment of inertia of a rigid body about any axis parallel to its center of mass is equal to the moment of inertia about the center of mass plus the product of the mass of the body and the square of the distance between the two axes.

2. Why is the parallel axis theorem important?

The parallel axis theorem is important because it allows us to calculate the moment of inertia of a rigid body about a parallel axis without having to calculate the more complex moment of inertia about the center of mass. This simplifies calculations and makes it easier to study the motion and stability of objects.

3. How is the parallel axis theorem derived?

The parallel axis theorem can be derived using the basic principles of calculus and the definition of moment of inertia. It involves breaking down the body into infinitesimal elements and summing the individual moments of inertia about the parallel axis, which results in the final formula.

4. Can the parallel axis theorem be applied to all objects?

Yes, the parallel axis theorem can be applied to all objects as long as they are treated as a rigid body and the distance between the parallel axis and the center of mass is known. This includes both regular and irregularly shaped objects.

5. Does the parallel axis theorem have any real-world applications?

Yes, the parallel axis theorem has many real-world applications. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to determine the stability and motion of rotating objects such as wheels, gears, and flywheels. It is also used in astronomy to calculate the moment of inertia of planets and other celestial bodies.