Textbook Rankings: Interesting & Useful

• Thread starter djh101
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of creating a ranking of textbooks based on user ratings and suggests using a site called The Top Tens for this purpose. However, some participants raise concerns about the effectiveness of such a ranking as textbooks are subjective and cater to different audiences. They also mention that rankings should not be the only source of information when choosing a textbook.
djh101
Something that I would love to see on here is a ranking of textbooks as rated by users, e.g. best quantum mechanics textbooks, best introductory physics textbooks, etc. Although there are plenty of reviews, an actual numbered ranking would be both interesting and useful.

There is also a nifty site called The Top Tens where you can create lists that people vote on (note that I do not own nor am I affiliated with the site) that I have a few textbook ranking lists on. Perhaps a sticky could be made with links to lists on The Top Tens (or some other list-making site)?

Thoughts?

See:
http://www.thetoptens.com/quantum-mechanics-textbooks/
http://www.thetoptens.com/dover-books/

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is quite problematic to do something like that. Different textbooks are suitable for different purposes. For example, you really can't compare Zettili with Ballentine, they are written for different audiences.
Furthermore, a textbook is something very personal. What one person likes won't necessarily be what another person likes. So I'm not sure how useful such a ranking will be for somebody actually searching for a book.

Of course rankings shouldn't be the only source of information, but I have found (from my experience) that they do help a good amount, specifically with the amount of attention I give the items I'm looking for. If a large group of physicists and physics majors and what-have-you are listing book x as their favorite book in field y, I'll certainly put more time into researching that book than less popular books (I, and I assume most people, already do this with respect to how often and highly a book is recommended). Plus I find rankings to be sort of fun. Knowing how a Dover math book ranks against a Dover physics book probably won't help me in making a purchasing decision, but I am a big fan of Dover and enjoy getting to know about which books of their's people seem to enjoy.

1. What factors are typically considered in textbook rankings?

Textbook rankings typically consider factors such as content coverage, organization and structure, accessibility and clarity, relevance to current research and trends, and overall student satisfaction.

2. How are textbooks ranked?

Textbooks are typically ranked through a combination of student and expert reviews, sales data, and analysis of the textbook's content and features.

3. Are textbook rankings reliable?

Textbook rankings can be a helpful tool in selecting a textbook, but they should not be the only factor considered. It's important to also consider your own learning style and preferences, as well as the specific requirements of your course.

4. Can textbook rankings vary between different disciplines or subjects?

Yes, textbook rankings can vary greatly between different disciplines or subjects. A textbook that may be highly ranked in one subject may not be as highly ranked in another subject.

5. How often are textbook rankings updated?

The frequency of textbook rankings updates can vary, but they are typically updated every few years to reflect new editions and changes in the publishing industry.