Please Restore My Post: Forum Rules & Free Speech

• Thread starter alteredmind
  • Start date
In summary, the forum is not run by scientists, and the concept of free speech protects you from the government, but not from the consequences of whatever you say.
alteredmind
please restore my post, I don't think I broke any forum rules, what ever happened to free speech

Physics news on Phys.org
alteredmind said:
please restore my post, I don't think I broke any forum rules, what ever happened to free speech

Free speech is the concept that the government will not imprison or fine you for anything you say. You have not been imprisoned or fined for your posts, so the concept of free speech has not been violated.

On the other hand, if you go to somebody his house and start insulting him (for example), then that person has every right to put you out of his house. He can ask you to leave any time. This does not violate your free speech since the government does not take any repressive action.

Another example, if you insult your girlfriend, then she has every right to break up with you. This again does not violate your right on free speech. So as you see, the right on free speech protects you from the government, but not from the consequences of whatever you say. The consequences can be getting your posts deleted or getting various people to hate you.

As for your specific post on this forum that has been deleted. We wish not to have a discussion on "hot female scientists". It goes against the spirit of this forum.

well, I supposed I pissed off a few people but I had no intention whatsoever to piss off anyone, I just wanted to have some fun. saying "hot female sicentists" goes against the ehem "spirit" of this forum makes me wonder if this forum is really run bye scientists.

alteredmind said:
well, I supposed I pissed off a few people but I had no intention whatsoever to piss off anyone, I just wanted to have some fun. saying "hot female sicentists" goes against the ehem "spirit" of this forum makes me wonder if this forum is really run bye scientists.

What is the connection between "not wishing to discuss hot female scientists" and "the forum is not run by scientists"? Do you claim that every scientist likes to discuss "hot female scientists"?

I think I'm not updated about your post. What was your free speech about?

micromass said:
What is the connection between "not wishing to discuss hot female scientists" and "the forum is not run by scientists"? Do you claim that every scientist likes to discuss "hot female scientists"?
no

jmneutr0nn3 said:

I forget now

alteredmind said:
no

OK, so then how exactly did you come to the conclusion that this forum is not run by scientists?

jmneutr0nn3 said:

Topic title " ;)"

And the OP was this, as I remember:

"Let's play a game on hot female scientists mmmmm :smile:"
I don't remember well, but it was like that. :yuck:

This forum isn't intended to be perverted, I'm afraid. Not even in the Fun and Games section.

As for "free speech", if you actually knew anything about the Constitution, you'd know that "free speech" refers to a prohibition of government restriction of speech, and it's unfortunate, but we're not the government.

Yet.

alteredmind said:
saying "hot female sicentists" goes against the ehem "spirit" of this forum makes me wonder if this forum is really run bye scientists.

Being disrespectful to fellow scientists doesn't make one a scientist.

alteredmind said:

Are you sure you weren't looking for 4chan or tumblr and accidentally ended up at physics forums?

To the OP: like someone has already stated, the concept of free speech is at a public environment. While I don't agree with everything at physicsforums.com, the servers and website is a private domain. This website doesn't charge you for anything and provides a domain for learning and civil discussions within the context of a certain set of rules.

free_speech.png

I think you've gotten a proper explanation. Closing this thread now. Thanks!

1. What is the purpose of "Please Restore My Post: Forum Rules & Free Speech"?

The purpose of "Please Restore My Post: Forum Rules & Free Speech" is to provide a platform for users to request their posts to be restored if they believe their free speech rights have been violated. This forum also serves as a reminder for users to follow the forum rules to maintain a respectful and open dialogue.

2. How can I request for my post to be restored?

To request for your post to be restored, you can create a new thread in the "Please Restore My Post" forum and explain why you believe your post was wrongfully removed. Be sure to provide a link to the original post and adhere to the forum rules when making your request.

3. What is considered a violation of free speech on this forum?

The definition of free speech can vary, but on this forum, it is defined as the ability to express one's thoughts and opinions without fear of censorship or punishment. Any removal of posts that do not violate the forum rules or contain hate speech, threats, or personal attacks can be considered a violation of free speech.

4. Who decides if a post should be restored or not?

The forum moderators and administrators are responsible for reviewing requests for post restoration and determining if the post was wrongfully removed. They will consider the forum rules and the content of the post before making a decision.

5. Can I appeal a decision to not restore my post?

Yes, you can appeal a decision to not restore your post by contacting the forum moderators or administrators and providing further evidence or reasoning for why your post should be restored. However, the final decision is at the discretion of the moderators and administrators.