Career with travel opportunities

In summary, Jason is a soon-to-be graduate with a Bachelor's degree in Physics and is unsure about his career path. He is considering getting a PhD and is looking for ideas and suggestions. He wants a career that allows him to travel, pursue hobbies, and have freedom in his work. He also wants his work to be meaningful and important. Some potential options suggested include environmental physics, being a university professor/researcher, and a career in geology/planetary science or management consulting. Jason has already traveled and lived abroad and is aware of the challenges of balancing family life and traveling. He is open to considering different possibilities and is grateful for the suggestions.
JasonZ
Hey all,

I am graduting this coming year with my B.S. in Physics, and I am struggling with what to do for my career. I really feel like I want to further my education and go for my PhD. As with most people my age however, I am still uncertain as to which path I want to go in life. I am hoping if I can list a few things I know I want to do, and don't want to do, someone can give me some good ideas.

I really want to travel the world and see a lot (I think this is a common feeling at my age). I want to still have opportunities pursue hobbies, and not have to dedicate my lie 100% to one single thing.

I know I don't want to work in a standard corporation. I want some sense of freedom in my work, and the ability to pursue what I so desire. I want my work to be important, and not just menial labor.

I was thinking that environmental physics might be a field that would allow me such a path? I am not sure however, and haven't located too much information on it. I also think there is probably decent travel opportunity working as a professor in a University, but again I am unsure of this.

Thanks for your help and suggestions,
-JasonZ

Physics news on Phys.org
I have friends in geology/planetary science who travel a lot as grad students, and in post-PhD research. It's more of an outdoorsy, camping-type of travel though, but it does involve different countries.

Another travel-heavy career is management consulting. You often spend more 4-5 days a week living away from home. It's considered fairly intellectual, and you might like it.

Have you traveled at all? You might find that once you travel a bit, you may find that the novelty wears off at some point and that you get sick of it. Anyhow, that's what summers after graduation from college are for - traveling around and seeing the world. What's stopping you?

There is sort of a Catch-22 here. While you are single (without wife and kids), traveling can be interesting and rewarding. However, most companies do not send a new employee on travel (or at least not much) - unless it is for training perhaps - or one has a job in sales and marketing. I imagine that most companies send the seasoned employees on travel.

One possibility is to look for either a domestic company with divisions overseas, or look for employment in a foreign company. It also helps to be fluent in one or more foreign language, particularly with regard to technical language.

I was fortunate however with the company I joined out of graduate school. They had an international as well as domestic (US) client base. I traveled throughout the US and overseas, with multiple trips to Europe and Asia every year. However, it got to be pretty tedious because I was married and two kids soon after I joined. It was very tough on my wife (and kids) at times - so I owe big time for that.

I have many fond memories traveling overseas and working with people in different parts of the world.

You can do everything you described as a university professor/researcher!

Hey all. I have traveled a good bit already, and I have lived in germany for a year. I usually go on one big camping trip with my friends each summer, and we spend a lot of time outdoors and hiking, camping etc...

I agree that there is a big dilemma between family life and traveling. That is something I guess I need to really sit down and figure out for myself which is more important. Thanks for the ideas and information, I will play around with them.

-Jason

What types of careers offer travel opportunities?

Many careers offer travel opportunities, including jobs in the fields of sales, marketing, consulting, journalism, and international relations. Additionally, professions such as flight attendants, pilots, and travel bloggers also involve extensive travel.

How can I find a job that involves travel?

One way to find a job with travel opportunities is to research and apply for positions in companies that have a global presence or offer travel as part of their job requirements. You can also network with professionals in your desired field and ask for recommendations or search for travel-related job boards and websites.

What are the benefits of a career with travel opportunities?

A career with travel opportunities can provide a variety of benefits, such as the chance to experience different cultures, meet new people, and broaden your perspective. It can also enhance your resume by demonstrating adaptability, communication skills, and global awareness.

Are there any challenges to having a job that involves travel?

While exciting, a career with travel opportunities can also come with challenges. These may include being away from family and friends, dealing with jet lag and time differences, and adjusting to new environments and cultures. It's important to consider these factors before pursuing a job that involves frequent travel.

What skills are important for a career with travel opportunities?

Some essential skills for a career with travel opportunities include adaptability, communication, problem-solving, and cultural sensitivity. It's also crucial to have organization and time management skills to ensure a smooth and efficient travel experience. Additionally, foreign language proficiency can be beneficial in many travel-related careers.