How Does Light Speed Change in Relativity?

• Thread starter thought
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: Two events that happen at the same time-coordinate in one frame happen at different time-coordinates in another.
thought
if a ship is going at half the speed of of light (just imagine okay) and there is a light in the center of the ship then how fast would the light appear to go to somebody at the back of the ship?

first it would look like it was going at the speed of light to an outsider so to the person in the ship it would look like it was going at 1.5c. then time would dialate (to one half speed?) and the speed would increase even more (to 3c). however light appears to go at the same speed for all observers so how does this work?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, a basic premise of relativity, based on experimental evidence, is that the speed of light is the same in every frame of reference. If a rocket, going at 1/2 the speed of light, relative to an observer on an asteroid it is passing, shines a light toward its front, that observer would see the light leaving the ship at c, the speed of light, a person on the ship would see it leaving at c, indeed a person going the opposite direction at 99% the speed of light would see it leaving the ship at c. Nor would any of those observer's notice anything peculiar about that. The observer on the asteroid, seeing the ship go past at c/2 and seeing the light moving at c, having studied relativity, would calculate that a person in the ship would see the light leaving at
[tex]\frac{c- c/2}{1-\frac{c(c/2)}{c^2}}= \frac{c/2}{1- 1/2}= \frac{c/2}{1/2}= c[/tex]. He would calculate that the person on the ship going the opposite direction at 99% the speed of light would see the light going from the first ship at [tex]\frac{.99c+ c/2}{1+\frac{.99c(c/2)}{c^2}}= \frac{1.49c}{1+ 0.49}= c[/tex].

but

but how fast does the light going towards the back of the ship look like its going?

thought said:
but how fast does the light going towards the back of the ship look like its going?

Light always goes at c

thought said:
As HallsOfIvy wrote, a basic premise of relativity, based on experimental evidence, is that the speed of light is the same in every frame of reference.
What that means is that when any observer measures the speed of light, they always get the same value, no matter how fast the emitter is traveling with respect to the observer.

This is by no means a trivial statement. Compare this to tossing a baseball while on a train. Different observers see the ball traveling at different speeds depending upon how fast they see the train travelling.

Because of this consistency in the speed of light, concepts of space and time need to be adjusted.

Yes but time dilates to accommodate for the light moving forwards (half speed) however when the light moves towards the back the speed would look like 1.5/.5 or 3, the light would look like it was moving at three times the speed of light. I know it is based on experimental evidence and I'm asking how that works. I know it is time dilation but how exactly does that time dilation work?

thought said:
Yes but time dilates to accommodate for the light moving forwards (half speed) however when the light moves towards the back the speed would look like 1.5/.5 or 3, the light would look like it was moving at three times the speed of light. I know it is based on experimental evidence and I'm asking how that works. I know it is time dilation but how exactly does that time dilation work?
No, the speed of light is the same for an inertial observer no matter which direction it goes. One thing to keep in mind is that it's not just time dilation that explains this, it's also the fact that different frames define simultaneity differently--two events that happen at the same time-coordinate in one frame happen at different time-coordinates in another. You might find the example I gave on this thread helpful in understanding how this ensures that different observers measure the same speed of light.

thought said:

No, the speed of light is always c, for all observers, no matter how they are moving. This is a postulate (and one well supported by experiment). Time dilation is a necessary consequence of this.

1. How does light speed change in relativity?

In the theory of relativity, the speed of light is a constant and does not change. This means that no matter the frame of reference or the speed of the observer, the speed of light remains the same at approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. Does the speed of light change in different materials?

Yes, the speed of light can change when traveling through different materials. This is due to the interaction of light with the particles in the material, which can slow down or speed up the light. However, in a vacuum, the speed of light remains constant.

3. How does relativity affect the perception of time and distance?

In relativity, time and distance are relative and can be perceived differently depending on the observer's frame of reference. As an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down and distance appears to contract. This is known as time dilation and length contraction.

4. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light in relativity?

According to the theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass also increases, making it more and more difficult to accelerate. Thus, it is impossible for an object with mass to reach the speed of light.

5. How does relativity explain the concept of simultaneity?

In relativity, simultaneity is relative and can differ between observers in different frames of reference. This means that events that may appear simultaneous to one observer may not be simultaneous to another observer moving at a different speed. This is due to the fact that the perception of time and distance can be distorted by an observer's speed.