Strange derivation: Statistical thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation is about a person studying thermal physics from a book and facing difficulty with a certain derivation. They provide a link to the scanned page from the book and mention the variables involved in the equation they are struggling with. Another person suggests using the product rule for derivatives to solve the equation and recommends a different book for further assistance.
ApeXaviour
This isn't a homework question. I'm studying this from a book (Thermal Physics by Kittel & Kroemer) currently. Up til now I've had no problem following it. There's one derivation that's got me a little stumped however. I had thought my calculus was proficient enough, but I'm just not seeing something here and it's very frustrating. Y'know how it is when you just can't let yourself continue until you get past this tiny hurdle :grumpy:

Anyway here it is scanned from the book:
http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~cockburd/thermo.gif

The equation circled is the bit I'm having trouble with, I see where he's going with putting it in that form but I can't see how he got that equation from the one immedietly prior..

by the way:
F is helmholtz free energy,
Z is the partition function,
U is the average energy of the ensemble,
tau is the fundamental temperature and
sigma is the entropy

Thanks
Declan

Physics news on Phys.org
Quick reply
Take this expression
[tex]
U=-\tau^2 \frac{\partial(F/ \tau)}{\partial \tau}
[/tex]
use the product rule for derivatives. And you'll get back to the prior equation

You could use Greiner's text on Thermodynamics & Statistical Physics. It's much more clear and the calculations are detailed.

Daniel.

1. What is statistical thermodynamics?

Statistical thermodynamics is a branch of thermodynamics that uses statistical methods to explain the behavior of a large number of particles in a system. It provides a microscopic understanding of thermodynamic properties such as temperature, pressure, and entropy.

2. How is statistical thermodynamics different from classical thermodynamics?

Classical thermodynamics is based on macroscopic observations and laws, while statistical thermodynamics uses statistical methods to describe the behavior of individual particles in a system. It provides a deeper understanding of thermodynamic properties at the microscopic level.

3. What is the role of entropy in statistical thermodynamics?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In statistical thermodynamics, entropy is used to predict the probability of a particular distribution of particles in a system. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of systems at the microscopic level.

4. What are some applications of statistical thermodynamics?

Statistical thermodynamics has many practical applications, including the design and optimization of chemical and biochemical processes, the study of phase transitions in materials, and the development of new materials with specific properties.

5. How is statistical thermodynamics related to quantum mechanics?

Statistical thermodynamics is closely related to quantum mechanics, as both fields deal with the behavior of particles at the microscopic level. In fact, statistical thermodynamics is often used to explain quantum phenomena such as the behavior of gases at low temperatures and the properties of solids.