Count the number of winnable Freecell games?

In summary, the speaker is interested in proving or disproving the winnability of every possible Freecell game and counting the number of winnable games. They also mention the option of playing games -1 and -2 on MS Freecell and the NP-completeness of the game.
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
So you've played Freecell, right? I would like to prove or disprove that every possible Freecell game is winnable. If there exists a game that is not capable of being won (within the normal rules) I would then like to count the number of games which are possible to win. Ideas?

Here's a screenshot of the game to refresh your memory:

Attachments

• Freecell.JPG
    Freecell.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 455
Physics news on Phys.org
benorin said:
So you've played Freecell, right? I would like to prove or disprove that every possible Freecell game is winnable. If there exists a game that is not capable of being won (within the normal rules) I would then like to count the number of games which are possible to win. Ideas?
Here's a screenshot of the game to refresh your memory:
Well, there's the option of playing games -1 and -2 on MS freecell, for one of those questions.

I think I remember reading somewhere that it is presumed all are possible but has never been proven, after all the game is NP-complete.

Last edited:

What is Freecell?

Freecell is a popular single-player card game that is typically included in computer operating systems. It involves moving cards around on a game board in order to sort them into designated piles.

How many possible Freecell game combinations are there?

There are 1,000,000,000,000,000 (1 quadrillion) possible game combinations in Freecell. This is due to the large number of cards and the different ways they can be arranged on the game board.

What does it mean to "count the number of winnable Freecell games"?

Counting the number of winnable Freecell games refers to determining how many of the 1 quadrillion possible game combinations can be successfully completed according to the game's rules.

Why is counting the number of winnable Freecell games important?

Counting the number of winnable Freecell games is important for understanding the complexity and difficulty of the game. It can also help game developers and researchers analyze strategies and improve the game's design.

How is the number of winnable Freecell games calculated?

The number of winnable Freecell games is calculated using mathematical algorithms and computer programs. These programs simulate all possible game combinations and determine which ones can be successfully completed, taking into account all possible moves and variations.