Angular acceleration problem

In summary, a rod of length 57.0 cm and mass 1.90 kg is suspended by two strings, each 41.0 cm long, with one string on side B being cut. Using torque and Newton's laws, the magnitude of the initial acceleration at end B is calculated to be 118.4 m/s^2. However, further clarification is needed as the location of rotation and the use of Newton's 2nd law may not be accurate.
Punchlinegirl
A rod of length 57.0 cm and mass 1.90 kg is suspended by two strings which are 41.0 cm long, one at each end of the rod. The string on side B is cut. Find the magnitude of the initial acceleration of end B.

I tried using torque= I* alpha
torque= L x f= (.57)(18.62)=10.6
I got from Newton's 2nd law, (9.8)(1.90)
so, 10.6 = I* alpha
I= (1/12)(mL^2)= (1/12)(1.90 * (.57)^2= .051
so, 10.6 = .051 alpha
alpha = 207.8 rad/s^2
alpha= a/L
207.8 = a / .57
a= 118.4 m/s ^2

This isn't right... can someone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, the place that it is rotating around is at one end of the rod.
How far from this is the rod's center-of-mass?

Second,
Newton's 2nd law is "Sum of Forces = ma"
Maybe you mean Newton's 4th Law "Force by gravity = m g = m GM/r^2"

There are a few mistakes in your calculation. First, the torque should be calculated as the product of the force and the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force. In this case, the force is the weight of the rod, which is given by mg, and the perpendicular distance is the distance from the point of rotation (the point where the string is cut) to the center of mass of the rod, which is half of its length (0.285 m). So, the torque should be calculated as 0.285 * 1.9 * 9.8 = 5.6 Nm.

Next, the moment of inertia of a rod about its center of mass is given by 1/12 * m * L^2, where m is the mass and L is the length. So, the moment of inertia in this case should be 1/12 * 1.9 * 0.57^2 = 0.012 kgm^2.

Finally, using the equation torque = moment of inertia * angular acceleration, we can solve for the initial angular acceleration of end B:

5.6 = 0.012 * alpha
alpha = 5.6 / 0.012 = 467 rad/s^2

Since the acceleration of end B is directly proportional to the angular acceleration, we can use the equation a = alpha * L to find the initial linear acceleration:

a = 467 * 0.41 = 191.5 m/s^2

So, the magnitude of the initial acceleration of end B is 191.5 m/s^2.

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's angular velocity is changing, and is usually expressed in units of radians per second squared.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula α = (ω2 - ω1) / (t2 - t1), where α is the angular acceleration, ω is the angular velocity, and t is the time.

3. What is the difference between angular acceleration and linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration refers to the change in an object's rotational motion, while linear acceleration refers to the change in its linear motion. Angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared, while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared.

4. How does angular acceleration affect an object's motion?

Angular acceleration affects an object's motion by changing its angular velocity, which in turn affects its rotational motion. A larger angular acceleration will result in a faster change in angular velocity, leading to a more significant change in the object's rotational motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular acceleration?

Some real-life examples of angular acceleration include a spinning top, a car making a turn, and a roller coaster going around a loop. In these cases, the objects experience a change in their rotational motion due to the application of a force, resulting in angular acceleration.