Linear Algebra: Linear Combinations

In summary, a linear combination is a mathematical operation that combines two or more vectors by multiplying each vector by a scalar value and then adding the results. This allows us to express any vector in a vector space as a linear combination of a set of basis vectors, making it easier to perform operations on vectors and solve systems of linear equations. Linear combinations can be extended to any number of vectors, and they are used in various real-world applications such as data analysis, computer graphics, and physics.
lockedup

Homework Statement

Let V = {f: [tex]\mathbb {R}\rightarrow\mathbb {R}[/tex]} be the vector space of functions. Are f1 = ex, f2 = e-x (both [tex]\in[/tex] V) linearly independent?

Homework Equations

0 = aex + be-x Does a = b = 0?

The Attempt at a Solution

My first try, I put a = e-x and b = -ex. He handed it back and told me to try again. I think the problem was that my a and b were not constants. But how to prove that there are no constants that will make the equation 0? I wrote some stuff down about the fact that, if a=0, then b = 0 (and the converse). Is that sufficient or am I way off?

Physics news on Phys.org
One way to do it would be a proof by contradiction.

Suppose there are constants, not both 0, a and b, such that aexp(x) + bexp(-x) = 0 for all x. Then aexp(x) = -bexp(-x), so -a/b * exp(2x) = 1 for all x. I won't complete it for you, but look at x=0, and see what restriction it places on a/b. Then look at a different point and you will reach a contradiction. (Also note, I've implicitly assumed b is nonzero, so you should handle that case as well)

how about

a.ex+b.e-x = 0
multiply by e-x
a.e2x+b = 0

this is not true in general for all x in the reals unless a=b=0

lockedup said:

Homework Statement

Let V = {f: [tex]\mathbb {R}\rightarrow\mathbb {R}[/tex]} be the vector space of functions. Are f1 = ex, f2 = e-x (both [tex]\in[/tex] V) linearly independent?

Homework Equations

0 = aex + be-x Does a = b = 0?
Yes, a = b = 0 is one solution, and is always a solution regardless of whether these functions are linearly dependent or linearly independent. The real question is whether this solution, the trivial solution, is the only solution. If so, the functions are linearly independent. If not, they are linearly dependent.

1. What is a linear combination?

A linear combination is a mathematical operation that combines two or more vectors by multiplying each vector by a scalar value and then adding the results. The result is a new vector that lies in the same vector space as the original vectors.

2. How do you find the linear combination of two vectors?

To find the linear combination of two vectors, you first need to determine the scalar values that will be multiplied by each vector. These scalar values can be found by solving a system of equations, where the coefficients of the variables are the components of the given vectors. Once the scalar values are determined, you can multiply each vector by its corresponding scalar and then add the results to find the linear combination.

3. What is the importance of linear combinations in linear algebra?

Linear combinations are important in linear algebra because they allow us to express any vector in a vector space as a linear combination of a set of basis vectors. This makes it easier to perform operations on vectors and to solve systems of linear equations.

4. Can linear combinations be extended to more than two vectors?

Yes, linear combinations can be extended to any number of vectors. The same principles apply, where each vector is multiplied by a scalar value and then added to the other vectors to form a new vector. This process can be repeated for any number of vectors.

5. How are linear combinations used in real-world applications?

Linear combinations are used in many real-world applications, including data analysis, computer graphics, and physics. For example, in data analysis, linear combinations are used to create new features from existing features in a dataset. In computer graphics, linear combinations are used to create smooth curves and surfaces. In physics, linear combinations are used to describe the motion of objects in three-dimensional space.