Probability of a deck of cards

In summary, the conversation discusses a probability problem involving a deck of 52 cards. The goal is to find the probability of all remaining cards in the deck being hearts after drawing at random and without replacement until only cards of one suit are left. Suggestions are given to approach the problem, including considering the symmetry of the suits and the last card in the deck. The final answer is determined to be 0.25 or 25%.
jinbaw
Hi ! I need help with this problem.
We have a 52 cards deck, and we're drawing at random and without replacement, until cards of one suit only are left. We need to find the probability that the remaining cards are hearts.

Any suggestions concerning where to start?

Physics news on Phys.org
jinbaw said:
Hi ! I need help with this problem.
We have a 52 cards deck, and we're drawing at random and without replacement, until cards of one suit only are left. We need to find the probability that the remaining cards are hearts.

Any suggestions concerning where to start?

Symmetry.

Umm.. Can you elaborate a bit what you mean ?
Thanks

How many suits are there in a standard deck?

jinbaw said:
Umm.. Can you elaborate a bit what you mean ?
Thanks

There is no difference between the suits. So whatever probability you have for the last suit being spades will also be the probability for clubs, diamonds and hearts. That is, the suits are symmetrical in this problem.

Also, consider this. The last suit left is bound to be the suit of the last card in the deck. So you really only need to know the last card to know what suit will be left last.

Well there are four.
I tried taking an event An = {the nth card is a spade}, and maybe take the union of the intersections [tex]\bigcup^{52}_{i=39}\bigcap^{52}_{j=i} A_{j}[/tex]. But this is of no use I guess...

Oh.. So the idea is P(the last suit is hearts) = P(last card is a heart) = 1/4 ?

I think so, yes.

Agree, yes. The answer is 0.25.

hi

the sample space is 52,

and the required event is 13 (i.e u r saying that at last there should be all hearts.that means we have 13 hearts in a deck.

so the event is 13,

and the probability is n(E)/n(S),(here E=event, S=sample space)
answer is 13/52,

i.e 0.25

(Moderator's note: thread moved from "Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics")

Please note for the future, homework assignments or any textbook style exercises are to be posted in the appropriate forum in our Homework & Coursework Questions area. This should be done whether the problem is part of one's assigned coursework or just independent study.

To jinbaw;

Clearing your thought, we must first understand the range of possibility and the deck.

*[1] possibility = probability = x; {0 < x < 1}

Looking at your problem by default, I knew that total number of cards in the deck = sample space = 52 and within the deck there are four suits. {Hearts, Spades, Diamonds, Clubs)

I will then divide my deck into 4 different group of suits. {52/4 = 13}

*Always remember that you are to determine the possibility, therefore drawing at random will never be a problem (in this case).

Now I have confirm 13 cards in deck at random will confirm hearts.

hence, I can say that the possibility = 13(hearts)/52(sample space) = 0.25

therefore 0.25 = x where 0 < x < 1, it agree with the condition [1] above.

To pre-determine your outcome answer: possibility of suit of hearts {13/52 = 0.25}
possibility of suit of spades {13/52 = 0.25}
possibility of suit of diamonds {13/52 = 0.25}
possibility of suit of clubs {13/52 = 0.25}

The total sum of possibility = probability = 0.25(hearts) + 0.25(spades) + 0.25(diamonds) + 0.25(clubs) = 1 confirm outcome of the deck.

1. What is the probability of drawing a specific card from a deck?

The probability of drawing a specific card from a deck is 1/52 or approximately 0.01923. This is because there are 52 cards in a deck and each card has an equal chance of being drawn.

2. What is the probability of drawing a face card from a deck?

The probability of drawing a face card (Jack, Queen, or King) from a deck is 12/52 or approximately 0.23077. This is because there are 12 face cards in a deck and 52 total cards.

3. What is the probability of drawing a red card from a deck?

The probability of drawing a red card (heart or diamond) from a deck is 26/52 or 1/2 or approximately 0.5. This is because there are 26 red cards in a deck and 52 total cards.

4. What is the probability of drawing a pair of cards with the same value?

The probability of drawing a pair of cards with the same value (such as two Aces or two 7s) from a deck is 6/52 or approximately 0.11538. This is because there are 13 different values in a deck (A, 2-10, J, Q, K) and for each value, there are 4 possible cards (one of each suit). Therefore, the equation is (13*4)/52 = 52/52 = 6/52.

5. What is the probability of drawing a card that is not a face card or an Ace?

The probability of drawing a card that is not a face card or an Ace is 32/52 or approximately 0.61538. This is because there are 8 non-face card values in a deck (2-10) and 4 of each value, making a total of 32 cards that are not face cards or Aces.