Optical Modeling Software for Refraction, Focusing & Wavelength Dependence

In summary: It is a high end software for this kind of work. In summary, the speaker is looking for software that can model the path of light through different vessels containing water. They have experience with ion optics software but not optical modeling software. Suggestions for software include Zemax, KDP-2, and the free version of OSLO. ORA LightTools is also recommended as a high-end option.
eustis26
Greetings. I am attempting to model the path of light through different vessels containing water. For example, water in a test tube (pyrex), or water in a quartz cuvette. I am looking for a program which can handle the properties of the container (glass composition) and the medium (water). I am interested in the refraction, focusing, and wavelength dependence.

I welcome all suggestions for proper software for this purpose. I have a great deal of experience with ion optics software, but the optical modeling software is foreign to me.

Kind Regards,

Soren Eustis, Ph.D.
ETH - Zürich

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

From what I have heard, Zemax is a pretty standard optical ray tracing program: http://www.zemax.com/

Another option that (I thinkj) is free, is KDP-2 by Jim Klein: http://www.ecalculations.com/

I have not used either of these programs, I'm just going by what I have seen posted by others. It might also be useful to see what other discussions about Zemax have taken place at Physics Forums:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=zema...=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=6f78d0ffc1b1e58c

There is also a freeversion of OSLO (http://www.lambdares.com/education/oslo_edu/ ) which is limited to 10 surfaces.
Not quite as pretty as zemax, but can do pretty much the same thing and you can't beat the price!

Last edited by a moderator:
Look up ORA LightTools.

Dear Dr. Eustis,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding optical modeling software for refraction, focusing, and wavelength dependence. I would recommend looking into programs such as Zemax, OpticStudio, or Code V, which are widely used in the field of optics and have the capabilities to model the properties of different materials and media. These programs also offer advanced features for modeling refraction and focusing, and have the ability to handle wavelength dependence. Additionally, they have user-friendly interfaces and a variety of tutorials and resources available to assist you in your modeling process.

I hope this helps in your search for the right software for your research. Best of luck in your studies.

Sincerely,Scientist in the field of optics

What is optical modeling software?

Optical modeling software is a computer program that simulates the behavior of light in various optical systems, such as lenses, mirrors, and prisms. It uses mathematical algorithms to calculate how light behaves and interacts with these systems.

What are the benefits of using optical modeling software?

Optical modeling software allows scientists and engineers to design and optimize optical systems without the need for physical prototypes. It also helps in understanding the behavior of light in different materials and configurations, saving time and resources in the research and development process.

How does optical modeling software handle refraction and focusing?

Optical modeling software uses the laws of refraction and geometric optics to accurately simulate the behavior of light as it passes through different media and is focused by lenses. It takes into account factors such as the refractive index, shape, and thickness of the optical elements to accurately model the behavior of the system.

Can optical modeling software account for wavelength dependence?

Yes, most optical modeling software has the capability to account for wavelength dependence. This is important in understanding how different wavelengths of light behave in an optical system, especially in applications such as spectroscopy and colorimetry.

What are some popular optical modeling software programs?

Some popular optical modeling software programs include Zemax, Code V, and FRED. These programs offer a range of features and capabilities for designing and analyzing optical systems, and are widely used in the scientific and engineering communities.