Existence of super-massive black holes

In summary: Ohh,yes i now understand but.hmm,does that mean at least some black holes(which have devoured some stars may be) should shine in some highly red shifted(radio wave) frequencies.Can we perhaps use this...I'm not sure.I think you would need to do further research to answer that.I'm not sure.I think you would need to do further research to answer that.
sri sharan
Imagine that you are an astronaut standing very far from a black hole.Now you throw a luminous body (a bulb may be) directly towards it.Now as it gets nearer the black hole,the light from the bulb as you observe it becomes more red-shifted.Eventually from your frame(consider it is an inertial one) you just observe the body getting nearer and nearer to the black hole but never quite crossing it.The light just keeps on getting red-shifted.

Doesn't this imply that super-massive black holes cannot exist, or if they exist at least the way we think they are formed(stellar black holes which gobbled up a large no of stars and other matter) is wrong?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
sri sharan said:

Doesn't this imply that super-massive black holes cannot exist, or if they exist at least the way we think they are formed(stellar black holes which gobbled up a large no of stars and other matter) is wrong?

It sounds like you are saying that because we cannot see something it doesn't happen.
I guess I don't understand your chain of reasoning.

As marcus points out, it is our point of view that is limited. The light bulb really does fall into the BH. If you threw yourself into it instead, you would pass the event horizon without noticing anything and would reach the centre quite quickly.

marcus said:
It sounds like you are saying that because we cannot see something it doesn't happen.
I guess I don't understand your chain of reasoning.

no,I am saying that with respect to the external frame of reference the the body will never cross the event horizon.It will just keep getting nearer and nearer to it.

sri sharan said:
no,I am saying that with respect to the external frame of reference the the body will never cross the event horizon.It will just keep getting nearer and nearer to it.

But then you go on to say "Doesn't this imply that super-massive black holes cannot exist,"

No. It doesn't.

DaveC426913 said:
If you threw yourself into it instead, you would pass the event horizon without noticing anything and would reach the centre quite quickly.

Ya,that's because the frame of reference changes.No, you are no longer the observer and you are subject to the gravity of black hole.

Ok,lets think of it this way.If a body crosses the event horizon I must no longer be able to see it right.But,this luminous body that is thrown in,the astronaut will always be able to see it,it will never cross the event horizon from his frame of reference(it does cross with respect to the body's own reference frame)

sri sharan said:
Ya,that's because the frame of reference changes.No, you are no longer the observer and you are subject to the gravity of black hole.

Ok,lets think of it this way.If a body crosses the event horizon I must no longer be able to see it right.But,this luminous body that is thrown in,the astronaut will always be able to see it,it will never cross the event horizon from his frame of reference(it does cross with respect to the body's own reference frame)
The image you are seeing of the object is not the object; it is the light of the object, on its long journey to climb back out of the BH's well. Lots of things can happen to that light after it has left the infalling object.

DaveC426913 said:
The image you are seeing of the object is not the object; it is the light of the object, on its long journey to climb back out of the BH's well. Lots of things can happen to that light after it has left the infalling object.

Yes,but doesn't the fact that I always see it,no matter how much time i stay there imply that the body will not cross the event horizon.If it does cross the horizon eventually I should stop getting light from it
Can you please elaborate?I am a little confused

sri sharan said:
Can you please elaborate?I am a little confused

What's confusing you?

The object falls into the BH, emitting light all the way. That light heads out of the BH back toward the observer. The last photons that leave the object before it crosses the event horizon has a tough time climbing out, and gets red-shifted. The very last photons in the last nanoseconds before it crosses the event horizon take the rest of eternity to climb out of the well, which is what the observer sees. But the object is looooooong gone.

DaveC426913 said:
The last photons that leave the object before it crosses the event horizon has a tough time climbing out, and gets red-shifted. The very last photons in the last nanoseconds before it crosses the event horizon take the rest of eternity to climb out of the well, which is what the observer sees. But the object is looooooong gone.

Ohh,yes i now understand but.hmm,does that mean at least some black holes(which have devoured some stars may be) should shine in some highly red shifted(radio wave) frequencies.Can we perhaps use this as a way of detecting possible black hole candidates??Looking for frequencies that are so low that they cannot be emmited by normal means?

Black holes won't shine. They are black. They emit no light.
The only way to "see" a black hole is to take a picture of the same patch of sky at two different times.
If in the second picture something seems to have "disappeared", it's very likely that a black hole is hidden there.

R.

Rick88 said:
Black holes won't shine. They are black. They emit no light.
The only way to "see" a black hole is to take a picture of the same patch of sky at two different times.
If in the second picture something seems to have "disappeared", it's very likely that a black hole is hidden there.

R.

By light I don't mean the shining of black holes here .I meant the 'residual' light from any gobbled up stars,as i said in my previous post

1. What is a super-massive black hole?

A super-massive black hole is an extremely dense and massive object that exists at the center of most galaxies. It is believed to have a mass that is millions or even billions of times greater than the sun.

2. How do we know super-massive black holes exist?

Scientists have observed the effects of super-massive black holes on their surrounding galaxies, such as the extreme gravitational pull that causes stars and gas to orbit around them. In addition, we have also detected powerful radiation emissions from these objects, confirming their existence.

3. How do super-massive black holes form?

The exact process of super-massive black hole formation is still a topic of research and debate. It is believed that these objects form from the merging of smaller black holes and the accretion of surrounding matter, such as gas and stars.

4. Are super-massive black holes dangerous to Earth?

No, super-massive black holes are typically located at the center of galaxies, which are millions of light-years away from Earth. Their gravitational pull only affects objects that are in close proximity to them, so there is no immediate danger to our planet.

5. Can we see a super-massive black hole?

Directly imaging a super-massive black hole is not possible, as their immense gravitational pull does not allow light to escape and therefore they cannot be seen. However, scientists have been able to indirectly observe them through their effects on surrounding matter and radiation emissions.