Time dilation yes, why no contraction?

In summary, a light clock on a train will appear to run slow for observers on the train, but run faster for observers at a train station.
fatdad
The example I have read to show time dilation is that of a light clock on a train. Two mirrors are one metre apart. Light is beamed from the first mirror to the second. An observer on the train sees that it takes the amount of time for light to travel 1m for the light to reach the second mirror. T a second observer at a train station, the light travels more than 1m, as the train, and thus the second mirror, has moved away from its original position between the light leaving the first mirror and hitting the second. As light speed is a constant, more time must pass for the observer on the platform than for the observer on the train in order to cater for the extra distance.

However, when the light rebounds from the second mirror to the first, while the observer on the train still perceives the light to travel 1m, for the observer on the platform, the light travels less than 1m as mirror one has moved closer to the point of the rebound (relative to the observer on the platform).

Where is the fault in my logic? It would seem that I am using the same arguments as those who thought that light traveled through "the ether". I can't see my error, however.

Physics news on Phys.org
fatdad said:
However, when the light rebounds from the second mirror to the first, while the observer on the train still perceives the light to travel 1m, for the observer on the platform, the light travels less than 1m as mirror one has moved closer to the point of the rebound (relative to the observer on the platform).
I don't understand why you think the platform observer would see the light travel less than 1m. According to him, the light going from mirror 2 back to mirror 1 takes a similar tilted (and longer) path as it did when going from mirror 1 to mirror 2.

Draw yourself a diagram of the light path as seen by the platform observers. (Realize that the line between the two mirrors of the light clock is oriented perpendicular to the direction of travel.)

Doc Al said:
I don't understand why you think the platform observer would see the light travel less than 1m. According to him, the light going from mirror 2 back to mirror 1 takes a similar tilted (and longer) path as it did when going from mirror 1 to mirror 2.

Draw yourself a diagram of the light path as seen by the platform observers. (Realize that the line between the two mirrors of the light clock is oriented perpendicular to the direction of travel.)

Thanks. I was confusedly thinking of the mirrors in the direction of travel.

It doesn't matter whether they are oriented parallel or perpendicular to the motion. It's the round trip time that counts, and this is where you'll see the effect of time dilation (same for all orientations).

Bill_K said:
It doesn't matter whether they are oriented parallel or perpendicular to the motion. It's the round trip time that counts, and this is where you'll see the effect of time dilation (same for all orientations).
While it's certainly true that time dilation will be exhibited regardless of orientation, the analysis of a parallel light clock is more involved than that of the usual perpendicular light clock.

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an observer moving at high speeds compared to an observer at rest. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of special relativity.

2. How does time dilation work?

Time dilation occurs because the speed of light is constant in all frames of reference. As an object approaches the speed of light, the time it takes for light to travel to and from the object becomes longer, causing time to appear to slow down for the moving object.

3. Why does time dilation occur but not contraction?

According to Einstein's theory of special relativity, space and time are interconnected and create a four-dimensional spacetime. Time dilation occurs because an object's velocity through spacetime affects how time is experienced. On the other hand, length contraction does not occur because an object's velocity does not affect the length of an object in the direction of its motion.

4. Is time dilation real?

Yes, time dilation is a well-established phenomenon and has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations, such as the famous Hafele-Keating experiment. The effects of time dilation have also been observed in high-speed particles and satellites.

5. How does time dilation impact everyday life?

While the effects of time dilation are not noticeable in everyday life, they are crucial in many technological applications. For example, GPS systems must account for the time dilation of satellites in orbit in order to provide accurate location information. Time dilation also has implications for space travel and our understanding of the universe.