Is a Three-Headed Snake a Rare Genetic Mutation or Revered as a Hindu God?

• Thread starter Hyperspace2
  • Start date
In summary, a three-headed snake was photographed in India. It is believed to be a genetic mutation and is extremely rare.
Hyperspace2
Here I took the pic of three headed snake. is this rare or common one? I assume it the genetic mutation. People here regard it as god(hindu).

Attachments

• snake.jpg
    snake.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,218
Physics news on Phys.org
Presuming you're not photoshopping us, you have been lucky to see such an extreme rarity.
Many-headed (or polycephalic) animals are occasionally reported, but I have only seen reports of two-headed snakes before.

Three-headed snakes should be even rarer than those.

yes, i was lucky to see it. It's amazing thing I got to see when I travelled. My freinds also
assume it to be photoshoped when I gave them this picture.

I always wonder how they decide where to go or what to do. Does one control the body, or do all three each have partial control? Unless people are helping feed it, it must be coordinating actions with all three heads in some way to survive to adulthood, unless two heads are just along for the ride.

Where and when was this photo taken?

Well, here's an original:

http://zuvvu.com/images/content/3-headed-Snake-found-on-Indian-Road-.jpg
So: busted.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
I always wonder how they decide where to go or what to do. Does one control the body, or do all three each have partial control? Unless people are helping feed it, it must be coordinating actions with all three heads in some way to survive to adulthood, unless two heads are just along for the ride.

Yes. It ought to be a tremendous COST to maintain and coordinate extra, functional heads, rather than just one.
That is, possibly an additional reason why most polycephalics tend to die very soon after birth*, rather than they are suffering from additional mutations.

*At least, that was the impression I got from Wiki

DaveC426913 said:
Well, here's an original:

http://zuvvu.com/images/content/3-headed-Snake-found-on-Indian-Road-.jpg
So: busted.

How busted, Dave?
When did Hyperspace SAY he hadn't given others his picture? And, a local news news outlet would eagerly take it, and it would spread locally, as it already has done on the Net

I can't see that we can pull the fraud card on him yet, he might well be the originator of the photo.

Perhaps he also showed it to us was that we are a physics(and-biology).forum, and hyperspace was just excited and wondered if we could tell him how rare this critter was?

Both two-headed, and three-headed animals have been CONFIRMED being able to live to adulthood, if the Wiki article on polycephaly is to go by.

I saw the same photo elsewhere, which is why I had asked when and where it was taken.

Wouldn't be the first multi-headed snake hoax photo.

Yes folks I am the person who took this photograph, therefore I am very lucky

Hyperspace2 said:
Yes folks I am the person who took this photograph, therefore I am very lucky

Great, when and where did you take the photo by chance?

Some of us are interested when and where this photo was taken. Also, either you got real close to the snake (everyone in the background seems to be standing some distance away) or you had a nice optical zoom on your camera. What camera did you shoot this picture with? The image quality is pretty good.

Moonbear said:

I had the same thought. So in this pic, each of the three heads decided to go into "flare mode" or whatever it's called? Seems...possible but not probable, I think.

But who knows, perhaps this species goes into that mode very readily.

There appears to be many sightings of muti headed snakes after a google search. It wouldn't surprise me if the rare event is the inspiration behind the mythical Hydra.

Photoshopped, each head has a yellowish spot above the mouthline in the same relative position to the eye and the nostril.

Insanity said:
Photoshopped, each head has a yellowish spot above the mouthline in the same relative position to the eye and the nostril.
No. Since they're identical genes, they'll have identical markings. I thought of that.

Arildno is correct. This is not conclusively fake, nor is Hyper's claim of being the original photographer conclusively ruled out.

It's circumstantially highly suspect, but that's not conclusive.

Hyper, if you took this, you have the original. Care to upload it?

I promise this isn't photoshoped, i have no knowledge about it.

Hyperspace2 said:
I promise this isn't photoshoped, i have no knowledge about it.

Well, you have definitely edited it, since you've cropped and reduced it from the original.

Let's see the original.

DaveC426913 said:
Hyper, if you took this, you have the original. Care to upload it?

high megabyte photo, slower internet connection in my country, so I reduced it's size.

Hyperspace2 said:
high megabyte photo, slower internet connection in my country, so I reduced it's size.

It's been cropped. The reduced one is almost square. The original is portrait format.

I'm not saying that means it's fake, I'm simply pointing out that when you say "it wasn't PhotoShopped", that not entirely true. The original image has been digitally manipulated in a photo editing program.

Where and when was it taken?

Well people I was just trying to share my excitement and rare opportunity. I have no interest in claiming and trying hard to give proofs it to be original( it doesn't interest me). I was just trying to get scientifc thoughts of you people.

Hyperspace2 said:
Well people I was just trying to share my excitement and rare opportunity. I have no interest in claiming and trying hard to give proofs it to be original( it doesn't interest me).
Why post it in the Skepticism and debunking forum? If you wanted us to merely admire your photo you should have posted it in GD.

Hyperspace2 said:
I was just trying to get scientifc thoughts of you people.

So, you asked for skepticism and debunking. Unless you can give us something more to go on, we have only your word that a] you took it and b] it isn't edited.

We can't offer any scientific thoughts without accurate data.

But yes, three-headed snakes exist. No question there.

In his defense Dave, he had posted it in GD originally, it has been moved here though since then.

Insanity said:
In his defense Dave, he had posted it in GD originally, it has been moved here though since then.

I did not know that.

In that case Hyper, I owe you an apology.

Hyperspace2 said:
Well people I was just trying to share my excitement and rare opportunity. I have no interest in claiming and trying hard to give proofs it to be original( it doesn't interest me). I was just trying to get scientifc thoughts of you people.

Is providing the original photo that hard to do?

Looking at it a little closer:

fdbYk.jpg

There appears to be some definite "smudging" where the heads would join and some smudging in the background around the same area. Also, the heads are all facing in a manner that they would be facing if one head was simply rotated slightly clockwise and counterclockwise. Admittedly, they probably don't have much range of motion, but I doubt the heads would just coincidentally end up in positions like this.

I'm no shooping expert, but I won't be investing in any 3-headed cobra farms.

CaptFirePanda said:
There appears to be some definite "smudging" where the heads would join and some smudging in the background around the same area.
I noted that too.

CaptFirePanda said:
Also, the heads are all facing in a manner that they would be facing if one head was simply rotated slightly clockwise and counterclockwise.
Yep. I suspected the same thing.

My analysis suggests that the left head is a clone of the center head. But the right head is unique. Meaning that this is a photo of a two-headed snake, 'shopped to look like a three headed snake.

The evidence required to demo this would take a while to produce, so for now, I'm talking through my hat. But if you take the middle head and map it onto the left head and rotate 17 degrees, there are an astonishing number of consistencies not explainable by surface markings.

The most damning cue is attached. There is a marking on the cowl A behind head B. The marking is identical on two heads. That's not all that surprising, since we expect markings to be identical - but what is surprising is that it shows that the relationship position/angle between the heads - between left-middle and middle-right is identical. That is a coincidence.

Attachments

• snake.png
    snake.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 885
Last edited:
Providing the original picture is quite easy, he's not providing it because he doesn't have it (in other words it isn't his picture). It's impossible to be conclusive based on the resolution of the pictures provided, but that's by design! It would be quite easy to tell the picture had been faked in a high-resolution format.

Based on what we're provided we can still deduce it's probably faked for a couple of reasons:

• The heads look very similar if not identical, all point in the same direction and have the same general angle w.r.t. the camera.
  • The hoods seamlessly trasition into the body, are all flattened by the same amount, and have the same coloring patterns.
  • The picture has an icon in the lower right, apparently an eye with a magnifying glass in front of it. Logo denoting this came from a modified picture website?
  • The scales on the "chin" of each head are sharply distinguished, and the scales on the body are sharply distinguished, but in the region where the heads meet, they are blurred.

Unless this picture can be provided in raw form from the camera, it's undoubtedly a fake. Just do a search for "3 headed snake" on google and you'll find hundreds of pictures all made in this same fashion (and all fake).

Mech_Engineer said:
Providing the original picture is quite easy, he's not providing it because he doesn't have it (in other words it isn't his picture).

We're giving him the benefit of the doubt.

The O.P. underestimates the power of Google! More importantly, the "search by image" function.

Here's the apparent original for your enjoyment:

432167_173838336054314_100002844475516_232057_1323184658_n.jpg

EDIT: I went ahead and attached the "original" to this post as well in case it disappears from that website.

Attachments

• Cobra Original Picture.jpg
    Cobra Original Picture.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 752
Last edited:
Good work Mech_Engineer.

Whatever it is, it is a beautiful picture, and since there are well-documented cases of three-headed snakes, I'll suspend my judgment and give the benefit of doubt to..hyperspace2.

Perhaps because I am sentimental today, but there it is. Such animals ought to exist. :smile:
EDIT:
You are an evil, evil man, Mech Engineer, but necessary in this world of woe. :cry:

Mech_Engineer said:
The O.P. underestimates the power of Google! More importantly, the "search by image" function.

Here's the apparent original for your enjoyment:

uh oh awkward! :biggrin:

arildno said:
...and since there are well-documented cases of three-headed snakes...

Can you link to one of those documented cases? All I was able to find was 2-headed cases.

<h2>1. Is a three-headed snake a rare genetic mutation?</h2><p>Yes, a three-headed snake is considered a rare genetic mutation. It is estimated that only one in every 10,000 snakes have this abnormality.</p><h2>2. Can a three-headed snake survive in the wild?</h2><p>It is unlikely for a three-headed snake to survive in the wild due to the challenges it faces in hunting and competing for resources. However, some have been observed surviving for a short period of time.</p><h2>3. Are three-headed snakes revered as a Hindu god?</h2><p>Yes, in Hindu mythology, the three-headed snake known as Shesha Nag is believed to be the king of all snakes and a servant of Lord Vishnu.</p><h2>4. How do three-headed snakes differ from regular snakes?</h2><p>Aside from the obvious physical difference of having three heads, three-headed snakes may also have difficulty coordinating their movements and may have issues with digestion due to their abnormal anatomy.</p><h2>5. Is there a scientific explanation for the occurrence of three-headed snakes?</h2><p>While the exact cause is not fully understood, it is believed that three-headed snakes are the result of a genetic mutation or abnormal development during embryonic development.</p>

1. Is a three-headed snake a rare genetic mutation?

Yes, a three-headed snake is considered a rare genetic mutation. It is estimated that only one in every 10,000 snakes have this abnormality.

2. Can a three-headed snake survive in the wild?

It is unlikely for a three-headed snake to survive in the wild due to the challenges it faces in hunting and competing for resources. However, some have been observed surviving for a short period of time.

3. Are three-headed snakes revered as a Hindu god?

Yes, in Hindu mythology, the three-headed snake known as Shesha Nag is believed to be the king of all snakes and a servant of Lord Vishnu.

4. How do three-headed snakes differ from regular snakes?

Aside from the obvious physical difference of having three heads, three-headed snakes may also have difficulty coordinating their movements and may have issues with digestion due to their abnormal anatomy.

5. Is there a scientific explanation for the occurrence of three-headed snakes?

While the exact cause is not fully understood, it is believed that three-headed snakes are the result of a genetic mutation or abnormal development during embryonic development.