Second order diff. eq. Frobenius

In summary, the conversation discussed solving a differential equation using the Frobenius method and finding a polynomial solution for certain values of lambda. The orthogonality relation between polynomials, the fundamental interval, and the weight function were also mentioned. The conversation further explored different solutions and the self-adjoint form of the equation, but it was unclear how to determine the fundamental interval. The person also questioned whether their solution was correct and asked for clarification on where to post their question.
Telemachus
Hi there. I have this exercise, which says:

Demonstrate that:

[tex]xy''+(1-x)y'+\lambda y=0[/tex]

has a polynomial solution for some λ values.
Indicate the orthogonality relation between polynomials, the fundamental interval, and the weight function.

So I thought I should solve this using Frobenius method. I have one singular point at x=0, which is regular. I assumed a solution of the form:
[tex]y(x)=\sum_0^{\infty}a_n x^{n+r}[/tex]

And then replacing in the diff. eq. I get:
[tex]\sum_0^{\infty}a_n (n+r)(n+r-1) x^{n+r-1}+\sum_0^{\infty}a_n (n+r)x^{n+r-1}-\sum_0^{\infty}(n+r)a_n x^{n+r}+\lambda \sum_0^{\infty}a_n x^{n+r}=0[/tex]
[tex]\sum_0^{\infty}a_n (n+r)^2 x^{n+r-1}-\sum_0^{\infty}a_n (n+r-\lambda) x^{n+r}=0[/tex]
[tex]a_0r^2x^{r-1}+\sum_1^{\infty}a_n (n+r)^2 x^{n+r-1}-\sum_0^{\infty}a_n (n+r-\lambda) x^{n+r}=0[/tex]

Therefore r=0.

Then replacing r=0, and changing the index for the first summation, with m=n-1, n=m+1:
[tex]\sum_0^{\infty}a_{m+1} (m+1)^2 x^{m}-\sum_0^{\infty}a_n (n-\lambda) x^{n}=0[/tex]
And now calling m=n
[tex]\sum_0^{\infty}x^m \left ( a_{m+1} (m+1)^2 x^{m}-a_m (m-\lambda) \right )=0[/tex]
So I have the recurrence relation:
[tex]a_{m+1}=\frac{a_m(m-\lambda)}{(m+1)^2}[/tex]

Trying some terms:
[tex]a_1=-a_0\lambda[/tex]
[tex]a_2=\frac{a_1(1-\lambda)}{2^2}=-\frac{a_0\lambda(1-\lambda)}{2^2}[/tex]
[tex]a_3=\frac{a_2(2-\lambda)}{3^2}=-\frac{a_0\lambda(1-\lambda)(2-\lambda)}{2^23^2}[/tex]
[tex]a_4=\frac{a_3(3-\lambda)}{4^2}=-\frac{a_0\lambda(1-\lambda)(2-\lambda)(3-\lambda)}{2^23^24^2}[/tex]

I'm not sure what this gives, I tried this:
[tex]a_n=-\frac{a_0\lambda(n-1-\lambda)!}{(n!)^2}[/tex]
This is wrong, because the factorial in the numerator is only defined for positive values of (n-1-λ), and if n=1 I get (-\lambda)!, which wouldn't work for a_1, unless λ=0, which gives the trivial solution. But I think it works for n>1.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Telemachus said:
Hi there. I have this exercise, which says:

Demonstrate that:

[tex]xy''+(1-x)y'+\lambda y=0[/tex]

has a polynomial solution for some λ values.
Indicate the orthogonality relation between polynomials, the fundamental interval, and the weight function.

So I thought I should solve this using Frobenius method. I have one singular point at x=0, which is regular. I assumed a solution of the form:
[tex]y(x)=\sum_0^{\infty}a_n x^{n+r}[/tex]

And then replacing in the diff. eq. I get:
[tex]\sum_0^{\infty}a_n (n+r)(n+r-1) x^{n+r-1}+\sum_0^{\infty}a_n (n+r)x^{n+r-1}-\sum_0^{\infty}(n+r)a_n x^{n+r}+\lambda \sum_0^{\infty}a_n x^{n+r}=0[/tex]
[tex]\sum_0^{\infty}a_n (n+r)^2 x^{n+r-1}-\sum_0^{\infty}a_n (n+r-\lambda) x^{n+r}=0[/tex]
[tex]a_0r^2x^{r-1}+\sum_1^{\infty}a_n (n+r)^2 x^{n+r-1}-\sum_0^{\infty}a_n (n+r-\lambda) x^{n+r}=0[/tex]

Therefore r=0.

Then replacing r=0, and changing the index for the first summation, with m=n-1, n=m+1:
[tex]\sum_0^{\infty}a_{m+1} (m+1)^2 x^{m}-\sum_0^{\infty}a_n (n-\lambda) x^{n}=0[/tex]
And now calling m=n
[tex]\sum_0^{\infty}x^m \left ( a_{m+1} (m+1)^2 x^{m}-a_m (m-\lambda) \right )=0[/tex]
So I have the recurrence relation:
[tex]a_{m+1}=\frac{a_m(m-\lambda)}{m+1)^2}[/tex]

Trying some terms:
[tex]a_2=\frac{a_1(1-\lambda)}{2^2}=-\frac{a_0\lambda(1-\lambda)}{2^2}[/tex]
[tex]a_3=\frac{a_2(2-\lambda)}{3^2}=-\frac{a_0\lambda(1-\lambda)(2-\lambda)}{2^23^2}[/tex]
[tex]a_4=\frac{a_3(3-\lambda)}{4^2}=-\frac{a_0\lambda(1-\lambda)(2-\lambda)(3-\lambda)}{2^23^24^2}[/tex]

I'm not sure what this gives, I tried this:
[tex]a_n=-\frac{a_0\lambda(n-1-\lambda)!}{(n!)^2}[/tex]
This is wrong, because the factorial in the numerator is only defined for positive values of (n-1-λ), and if n=1 I get (-\lambda)!, which wouldn't work for a_1, unless λ=0, which gives the trivial solution. But I think it works for n>1.

Hey Telemachus.

You can define the factorial for negative values, but the values can not be integers: if this holds then the factorial function does extend to the negative real line (minus the integers). Just in case you need more details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_function

Thank you chiro. Do you think that what I did is ok?

I should take the diff. eq. into the self-adjoint form to get the weight function. About the fundamental interval, I think I should look at the convergence radius for the solution, right?

Last edited:
Ok. I worked this in a different fashion:

[tex]a_2=\frac{a_1(1-\lambda)}{2^2}=\frac{a_0\lambda(\lambda-1)}{2^2}[/tex]
[tex]a_3=\frac{a_2(2-\lambda)}{3^2}=-\frac{a_0\lambda(\lambda-1)(\lambda-2)}{2^23^2}[/tex]
[tex]a_4=\frac{a_3(3-\lambda)}{4^2}=\frac{a_0\lambda(\lambda-1)(\lambda-2)(\lambda-3)}{2^23^24^2}[/tex]

And now I called:
[tex]a_n=a_0\frac{(-1)^n\Gamma(\lambda-n)}{(n!)^2}[/tex]

Then λ-n can't be a negative integer, and the polynomials would be given by:
[tex]\sum_0^{\infty}a_0\frac{(-1)^n\Gamma(\lambda-n)}{(n!)^2}x^n[/tex]
Anyway, I think the an are wrong again, because if I take n=1 I get [tex]a_1=-a_0 \Gamma(\lambda-1)[/tex] which doesn't fit.

There is another solution, it is given by using the Frobenius theorem, and it involves a logarithm, but I think it isn't needed.

I actually think that I didn't have to get this explicit solution. To demonstrate what the problem asks I think I should take the equation to the self adjoint form.
[tex]xy''+(1-x)y'+\lambda y=0\rightarrow y''+(\frac{1}{x}-1)y'+\frac{\lambda}{x}y=0[/tex]

Multiplying by [tex]r(x)=e^{\ln (x) -x}[/tex]
I get:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left ( e^{\ln (x) -x}\frac{dy}{dx} \right) +\lambda\frac{e^{\ln (x) -x}}{x}y=0[/tex]
This is the self adjoint form for my differential equation. Then the weight function is given by: [tex]p(x)=\frac{e^{\ln (x) -x}}{x}[/tex]

I don't know how to get the fundamental interval.

By the way, should I post this in homework and coursework questions? if it is so, please move it, and I'm sorry.

Last edited:
Ok. It's solved.

The original problem was show that the equation "has a polynomial solution for some λ values." So you really just need to show that for some [itex]\lambda[/itex], The coefficients are eventually 0.

Yes, but for which λ? besides, the coefficients doesn't seem that easy to get. I actually couldn't. I used some theorems on the sturm liouville theory to solve this, I didn't get the coefficients explicitly. I've tried, but I couldn't find the coefficients. I would like to find the right expression for the a_n in the recurrence relation, but it doesn't seem to be that easy.

1. What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is an equation that involves the second derivative of a function. It can be written in the form y'' + P(x)y' + Q(x)y = R(x), where y is the dependent variable, x is the independent variable, and P, Q, and R are functions of x.

2. What is the Frobenius method for solving second order differential equations?

The Frobenius method is a technique for finding power series solutions to second order differential equations with singular points. It involves assuming a solution in the form of a power series, substituting it into the differential equation, and solving for the coefficients.

3. What is a singular point in a differential equation?

A singular point is a point in the domain of a differential equation where the coefficients of the equation become infinite or undefined. These points can make it difficult to find a solution using traditional methods and require the use of techniques such as the Frobenius method.

4. Can the Frobenius method be used for all second order differential equations?

No, the Frobenius method can only be used for second order differential equations with singular points. For equations without singular points, other techniques such as separation of variables or variation of parameters should be used.

5. Are there any limitations to the Frobenius method?

One limitation of the Frobenius method is that it may not always yield a valid solution. This can happen when the coefficients of the differential equation are not analytic at the singular point or when the series solution obtained does not converge. In these cases, other methods should be used to find a solution.