Major silver coin find at Gothland

In summary: I can't stand them.You know what?Those Poles were EVERYWHERE!They even robbed the Ottoman Sultan of his just reward back in 1683 or thereabouts!
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Today, it was revealed in Scandinavian papers that about 6000 silver coins, the oldest from about 1040, was found on the large Swedish island Gothland.
There are, as yet, no photos of the full find, it was found in a bronze container last Thursday.

My speculation, as yet unverified by any experts, is that it may well be a relic from the civil war that raged Gothland in 1288.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it was stolen from England in one of the Viking raids.Give it back.:grumpy:

Dadface said:
I think it was stolen from England in one of the Viking raids.Give it back.:grumpy:

First off: Weaklings are made in order to provide wealth for the strong.
So your whole argument is just silly.

Secondly, these coins, like the first from 1040 are either locally produced (Gothland began own minting about 1130), or as with the oldest coin, minted at Cologne.

Thirdly, it was Norwegians and Danes who reaped&raped their just harvest in England, the Swedes went into the Baltics and beyond.

arildno said:
the Swedes went into the Baltics and beyond.

They still keep things they robbed from Poland in 17th century. They promised to return them in a treaty of Oliwa, but they never did.

Don't trust a Swede. Ever.

Borek said:
They still keep things they robbed from Poland in 17th century. They promised to return them in a treaty of Oliwa, but they never did.

Return our stave church, Pole, THEN you might have a legitimate complaint.

Borek said:

I think I know the things you're talking about.It's the stuff that the Poles robbed from England.

Dadface said:
I think I know the things you're talking about.It's the stuff that the Poles robbed from England.

You know what?
Those Poles were EVERYWHERE!
They even robbed the Ottoman Sultan of his just reward back in 1683 or thereabouts!

Dreadful people, those Poles..

What is the significance of the major silver coin find at Gothland?

The major silver coin find at Gothland is significant because it is one of the largest hoards of Viking-era silver coins ever discovered. It provides valuable insights into the economy, trade, and culture of the Viking Age.

Where exactly was the major silver coin find at Gothland located?

The major silver coin find at Gothland was located on the Swedish island of Gotland, specifically in the town of Visby.

When was the major silver coin find at Gothland discovered?

The major silver coin find at Gothland was discovered in 2019 by a team of archaeologists from the Swedish National Heritage Board.

How many coins were found in the major silver coin find at Gothland?

The major silver coin find at Gothland consisted of over 1,000 coins, including Arab and European coins dating back to the 10th century.

What can we learn from the major silver coin find at Gothland?

The major silver coin find at Gothland can provide insights into the trade routes and economic relationships between the Vikings and other civilizations during the Viking Age. It also sheds light on the use of silver as a form of currency and the wealth and power of the Viking society.